Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom & Apple Card

tag
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom & Apple Card

Hi everyone,

I receive a pre approval email from Chase and invited to apply for Chase Freedom.  Apple keep sending me emails about applying with no impact on credit score but not labeled as pre approval.

Income is 120k, I have 7% utilization and 831 TU.

Should I be fine to apply for both at the same time and get approved?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom & Apple Card

I'd say go for it as long as you are within Chase's set 5/24 stipulations. With your 831 credit score there certainly shouldn't be an issue. Best wishes on both approvals!!! Smiley Happy

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 8
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

I think you should be fine to apply for both with a great chance at approval.What I would do is apply for the Chase Freedom first and then after you get your approval apply for the Apple Card.  

You sometimes have an increased chance at approval with Apple Card if you apply while you're  shopping on the Apple website. You'd add things to your cart eligible for an installment plan (Macs, iPads, iPhones and Apple Watches). Then while checking out they will offer you the opportunity to apply for the Apple Card.

Usually if you add a lot of stuff like iMacs  and MacBook Pros, they will say you're approved but your limit doesn't cover the price of the items in your cart. When I did it I added 4 of the 27 inch iMacs with upgrades and an iPad Air.   After you're approved you can go to the Wallet app on your iPhone and click the + button to get back to your Apple Card offer and accept it. Then if you want go back to the web browser and you can cancel the order if you want, you can buy some or all of the items or even use a different payment method if you'd like. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jordan23ww wrote:

I think you should be fine to apply for both with a great chance at approval.What I would do is apply for the Chase Freedom first and then after you get your approval apply for the Apple Card.  

You sometimes have an increased chance at approval with Apple Card if you apply while you're  shopping on the Apple website. You'd add things to your cart eligible for an installment plan (Macs, iPads, iPhones and Apple Watches). Then while checking out they will offer you the opportunity to apply for the Apple Card.

Usually if you add a lot of stuff like iMacs  and MacBook Pros, they will say you're approved but your limit doesn't cover the price of the items in your cart. When I did it I added 4 of the 27 inch iMacs with upgrades and an iPad Air.   After you're approved you can go to the Wallet app on your iPhone and click the + button to get back to your Apple Card offer and accept it. Then if you want go back to the web browser and you can cancel the order if you want, you can buy some or all of the items or even use a different payment method if you'd like. 

It's not really much use to have an Apple Card if you don't use iPhone, right? I guess one could use iPad mini or something but can one use THAT to use Apple Pay at stores? Thx. I was approved for 3k but didn't proceed for that reason.

Message 4 of 8
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

It's not really much use to have an Apple Card if you don't use iPhone, right? I guess one could use iPad mini or something but can one use THAT to use Apple Pay at stores? Thx. I was approved for 3k but didn't proceed for that reason.

@Anonymous to fully take advantage of all the perks and benefits of the Apple Card is best if you do have an iPhone but it's not a requirement to get the card. It just makes it so much easier to use things like Apple Pay and always get 3% to 2% back on the various categories. You can definitely use the iPad for certain purchases with the Apple Card linked to it.  Also you can pay your Apple Card balance on the Apple card website if you want. ( card.apple.com ) If the benefits work for you and the limitations of not having an iPhone do not bother you then by all means you should go for it.  

Message 5 of 8
RealityDesigner42
Established Member

I'm considering using the Apple shopping cart trick (after my current offer gotten without it expires). A minor question (just trying to limit risk of the purchase accidentally going through, though I know I can refund and would pick something that wouldn't  deliver for months):  I see a link in the cart  under the total to "Get Daily Cash with Apple Card" which does a pop up with an apply button/link, but then also a button to pay with installment with an apply link. When I've seen people mention the shopping cart trick I'd alway seen reference to "installments". So is that the only button that works for the trick? Or does the other button work also, or does it lead to an application that doesn't factor in your shopping cart?

I'm also debating getting the Apple card and a Chase card, my first, though possibly it would be the Amazon Prime Signatures Visa from Chase as my 4th and 5th cards (rebuilding from scratch, accounts 0/3, 1/6,2/12,3/24, 2 Capital one and a DIscover).  I gather Apple pulls TU and Chase pulls EX but *might* double-pull and some chance its TU. If so, would they care much about 1 apple inquiry around the same time? Would it make a difference if they were a day or week apart in terms of perceived risk and limit? (I'll check the pre-qualify but I assume its just a matter of any impact on the limit. The pre-qualify is part of why I'm considering the Amazon card vs. Chase branded since they don't have a pre-qualify link for non-customers apparently). 

Message 6 of 8
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Happy Easter everyone,

I applied for Chase Freedom and got approved on the spot for 7K and 15.24 APR. After getting approved I applied right away for the Apple Card and got approved for 11K and 11.24 APR.

Interesting how do I have a relationship with Chase and not Goldman Sachs and they give me a higher credit limit 👀.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has provided an update with their approvals, this thread is now locked and closed to new messages. Congrats on both approvals @m3rge!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.