Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Marriott Bonvoy Rejection Thoughts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Marriott Bonvoy Rejection Thoughts

I applied for a Chase Marriott Bonvoy last Monday. I tried the application hotline today and got the 7-10 days messages, which according to most sites seems to be a 90% rejection rate. It seems kinda suprising because my CSP last month was approved with over $16K CL. I know about the 2/30 and 5/24 rules and have not gone over them. My Fico score is 747. Should I apply for an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy or try the recon line? I was split between Chase and Amex and leaned Chase, but now with this possible rejection, I feel like I should try Amex?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Marriott Bonvoy Rejection Thoughts

Recon first for sure. If that doesn’t  work go for the Amex. Good luck with either!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 14
RickNATL
Established Contributor

This is what I was trying to avoid...didn't bother with Chase....went with Amex and met my $5K spend and got my SUB in a couple of days.  Chase is a bit unpredictable....didn't want to risk a wasted HP myself....good luck, and hope it works out...

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so I'll give an update on the situation. I had called Chase recon to see if it was possible and they told me I was outright rejected. Didn't try more than one time, but oh well. So, I applied to AMEX and got immediately accepted. Same day I receive my AMEX card, Chase tells me that they couldn't confirm if the application is mine, therefore I need to call back in and confirm it before they would proceed forward. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tell em no thanks, I moved on. I honestly would. I understand Chase has good cards and rewards but they just seem like they’re too much of an unnecessary pain in the *** in so many ways, like a high maintenance trophy wife of sorts. I’ll stick with AmEx - life is enough of a hassle without the dog and pony show Chase requires in order to have your wallet “blessed” with their exalted presence 🙄
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for a Chase Marriott Bonvoy last Monday. I tried the application hotline today and got the 7-10 days messages, which according to most sites seems to be a 90% rejection rate. It seems kinda suprising because my CSP last month was approved with over $16K CL. I know about the 2/30 and 5/24 rules and have not gone over them. My Fico score is 747. Should I apply for an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy or try the recon line? I was split between Chase and Amex and leaned Chase, but now with this possible rejection, I feel like I should try Amex?

Chase has been a little funny this year.  Some of the DPs aren't as valid anymore.

Def try to call and recon... but you might want to wait for your AA letter first.  There may be a number on there to call other than the widely published numbers.  They may also not let you talk to an analyst, you might have to plead your case with someone who will just take notes and have an analyst review it in 7-10 days. That analyst may then call you back.

That is what happened to me earlier this year for the CSR.  

See here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/New-Chase-Recon-Policy-No-rep-shopping-CSR-app-denied-then/m-p/5498410

Message 6 of 14
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Congrats on receiving the Amex Bonvoy!!! Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Tell em no thanks, I moved on. I honestly would. I understand Chase has good cards and rewards but they just seem like they’re too much of an unnecessary pain in the *** in so many ways, like a high maintenance trophy wife of sorts. I’ll stick with AmEx - life is enough of a hassle without the dog and pony show Chase requires in order to have your wallet “blessed” with their exalted presence 🙄

I am not a big fan of either, but Amex is ripe with their own drama.

I'll leave the "high maintenance trophy wife" comment alone. I think 😒 will do just fine. 

Message 8 of 14
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Amex...Bummer on the chase version ...That’s the one I would prefer because you can get a free night without a hefty annual fee or 15k in spend....Kinda sad Amex gave up the free night with no spend when they changed from the SPG Branded card.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remmy, understood - I know any company definitely has its issues. I can only go on my own experiences and so far Amex has been great for me. I just see all the hoops everyone seems to have to jump through with Chase and it turns me off. No offense intended on the trophy wife idea, just a comparable cliche that popped to mind Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.