Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Post-Approval SP Question

tag
VintageMel
New Contributor

Chase Post-Approval SP Question

I am considering applying for an AmEx Delta Gold, and am hoping I can get approved for it on a SP only.  Provided that's the case, I am tempted to also go for a card with a 0% intro offer like Chase Freedom Unlimited. 

As I undesrtand it Chase likes to pop in to your credit report and check out what you've been up to some time after card approvals.  Are they specifically looking to make sure you're still under 5/24, or will they dislike seeing any other new cards on your report?  I'm currently at 2/24 so I should be fine as far as that goes, but I don't want to set off any credit seeking alarm bells.

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Post-Approval SP Question

They don't like credit seeking behavior in general. I think now moreso because of covid.

That being said, the answers to your question will depend on the person and their relationship with Chase. 

I opened up a Chase SW visa in November 2019 and was only soft pulled once after approval. Since then I have opened 3 new accounts and everything is status quo.  The first account post chase was 4-5 months after approval

Message 2 of 11
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@VintageMel wrote:

I am considering applying for an AmEx Delta Gold, and am hoping I can get approved for it on a SP only.  Provided that's the case, I am tempted to also go for a card with a 0% intro offer like Chase Freedom Unlimited. 

As I undesrtand it Chase likes to pop in to your credit report and check out what you've been up to some time after card approvals.  Are they specifically looking to make sure you're still under 5/24, or will they dislike seeing any other new cards on your report?  I'm currently at 2/24 so I should be fine as far as that goes, but I don't want to set off any credit seeking alarm bells.

Based on your siggy, it should be a SP for the Amex, make sure you run through their pre qualify tool if you get the expanding your membership is easy, I think DP's here suggest that it would be a hard pull and likely a denial. If you get the you're already pre approved verbiage it is usually a SP. I think Amex takes about 2 months to report the new account too, so if you want both I'd hit up chase then Amex as long as I had a pre approved/qualified offer. Whatever you decide good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 3 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

With your scores and being 2/24 I highly doubt Chase would care if you opened 2 cards at once (but hey, I'm not Chase.) The end of May I did exactly what you are proposing, but riskier. I was already at 4/24 and went for the BCP assuming it would be a SP which it was, then turned around and went for the Freedom which was actually my 6/24 card but Chase never found that out until the BCP reported over 2 months later. They never gave me any grief. I think if your scores are good and your DTI is under control you probably have nothing to worry about. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 11
VintageMel
New Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback, and thank you for your data point @Ficoproblems247.  At least there might be some benefit in AmEx taking their sweet time to report new accounts. 

AmEx shows pre-approval for all of their cards, so I'm pretty optimistic about my chances of getting it on a SP.  I also have a pre-approval offer for the FU on Credit Journey.  I also also have a pre-approval offer for Discover, so I'm half tempted to just go for that one instead of the Freedom Unlimited. I confess I am a bit of a coward where applications are concerned.   Smiley LOL

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 5 of 11
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Thanks OP for asking the question. I have never done app spree but thinking about doing one after we close on our house.  Since I will be opening 3 or 4 cards at one time and one may be a Chase card I too have been worried about this. I am currently 1/24 so I assumed if I don't open more than 4 Chase will be okay with me, I would think that will be fine if you stay under 5/24 even if they do a post-approval pull.  

Message 6 of 11
VintageMel
New Contributor

@sxa001 wrote:

Thanks OP for asking the question. I have never done app spree but thinking about doing one after we close on our house.  Since I will be opening 3 or 4 cards at one time and one may be a Chase card I too have been worried about this. I am currently 1/24 so I assumed if I don't open more than 4 Chase will be okay with me, I would think that will be fine if you stay under 5/24 even if they do a post-approval pull.  

I've been doing some further searching through old threads on this topic and have found several examples of people getting their new Chase cards shut down because of new apps after the Chase approval. 

I also found one (which I stupidly did not copy a link to) where two posters said they got away with a new Chase card and a new AmEx with a soft pull within the same month. It makes me wonder if it's the hard inquiries that raise the red flags with Chase. I'm wondering if it's the combination of the soft pull and the fact that it typically takes AmEx a couple of months to report the new account that makes that particular combination work.

Personally I'm not sure I would attempt 3-4 in the current lending climate. With so many lenders being really squeamish about too many recent inquiries it may not be terribly likely to get approved for that many at once anyway. But as I said above, I'm a bit of a chicken with this sort of thing to begin with. Smiley Tongue

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Message 7 of 11
VintageMel
New Contributor

Well I went for it. Got the Delta Gold on a soft pull as planned, then got the FU as well.  I felt ok about this decision until I got approved, now I'm nervous about it.  Oh well, there's nothing to be done now but keep up my PIF, 1% utilization, AZEO pattern and hope for the best. 

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Message 8 of 11
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Congrats, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 9 of 11
VintageMel
New Contributor

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

Congrats, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks! Yeah, I've already started to relax. Smiley Happy

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.