Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Club Infinite Application Denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase United Club Infinite Application Denied

A few days ago I applied for the Chase United Club Infinite card and was told it was processing. Upon calling today, they informed me that my application was denied due to high balances/utilization but for no other reason. This was strange to me as for the previous month I had paid off my cards almost completely, with some balance kept on my Chase Freedom Unlimited due to a 0.0% apr. I have closing dates coming up in a few days for both my Discover and Chase Freedom Unlimited that I havent paid yet due to them autopaying from my account, and my AMEX Platinum isnt due until closer to the end of the month.

The bills that are due that haven't closed are Discover $1100/2900, Chase: $2600/2900 and AMEX $4200/(no CL). 

I tend to spend a lot despite my income being low due to being reimbursed for things from my parents due to being a student.

1. Are these bills the reason that I wasn't approved even though they arent revolving balance?

2. They said my application will still be considered active until 30 days from when I applied. If I pay these off will I be able to call back and have them change the decision? I'd hate to waste an Inquiry because I was relying on autopay.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase United Club Infinite Application

@Anonymous wrote:

A few days ago I applied for the Chase United Club Infinite card and was told it was processing. Upon calling today, they informed me that my application was denied due to high balances/utilization but for no other reason. This was strange to me as for the previous month I had paid off my cards almost completely, with some balance kept on my Chase Freedom Unlimited due to a 0.0% apr. I have closing dates coming up in a few days for both my Discover and Chase Freedom Unlimited that I havent paid yet due to them autopaying from my account, and my AMEX Platinum isnt due until closer to the end of the month.

The bills that are due that haven't closed are Discover $1100/2900, Chase: $2600/2900 and AMEX $4200/(no CL). 

I tend to spend a lot despite my income being low due to being reimbursed for things from my parents due to being a student.

1. Are these bills the reason that I wasn't approved even though they arent revolving balance?

2. They said my application will still be considered active until 30 days from when I applied. If I pay these off will I be able to call back and have them change the decision? I'd hate to waste an Inquiry because I was relying on autopay.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Your Chase card is pretty much maxed out so I can see why they denied you. Banks can't read your mind and "know" you are going to pay a balance off in X many days. 

Nor can they tell that you are being reimbursed by someone so if your reported income is low they can't tell that the balances will/could be paid off.

It is possible to recon after paying off the high balances, worse they could say is no again. 

In the future, you should "pretty up" your reports by paying off large balances before applying for a card that you want. 

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The decision was based on the data that the CRAs had on the reporting of your accounts, so you'd have to check what balances were associated with that decision.

Are the Discover, Chase and AmEx the only CCs you have?  I'm assuming, based on your notation, that the AmEx is a NPSL/charge card? What were the reported CRA balances (not what you know today) on your accounts at the time of your application?

Yes, Chase will keep the application active for that period in the event you decide to pursue a reconsideration; however, they won't pull another CR so the decision would likely be based on what they mentioned already (plus anything else the algorithm picked up).  You can try appealing the decision to see if it yields a different outcome, though.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. I didn't consider it due to me not normally keeping a revolving balance, but I definitely will next time. How long should I wait after making a payment to call them for reconsideration?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the AmEx is is a charge card. Those balances should have been the same at the time the report was pulled from TransUnion, as thats what shows up in my Chase Credit Journey and I haven't paid any balances since then.

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes the AmEx is is a charge card. Those balances should have been the same at the time the report was pulled from TransUnion, as thats what shows up in my Chase Credit Journey and I haven't paid any balances since then.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, @Anonymous.  I'd say if you intend on reducing those balances by a considerable amount (before you contact them), then it *could* help with the reconsideration. It wouldn't hurt to provide the UW team a genuine reason as to why you want the United Club CC as well. Since UW will likely have access to view your Chase CC, they'll be able to confirm that you made the effort there.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great, thank you for your help. I'll put a payment in for ~$2k on my chase card tomorrow. What would be a good reason for them? Is flying United out of ORD very frequently good enough of a reason? In short I've had a sudden large increase of traveling and United is my airline of choice which is the reason for the card. I was planning on having this card round out my current setup for the next few years and on keeping it long term as my travel situation will remain this way for the forseeable future.

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok great, thank you for your help. I'll put a payment in for ~$2k on my chase card tomorrow. What would be a good reason for them? Is flying United out of ORD very frequently good enough of a reason? In short I've had a sudden large increase of traveling and United is my airline of choice which is the reason for the card. I was planning on having this card round out my current setup for the next few years and on keeping it long term as my travel situation will remain this way for the forseeable future.

Definitely wait until the payments have been posted on both accounts. 

You can let them know how United is your airline of choice because of their hub in ORD (plus what you mentioned above). You could also explain how you plan to leverage the benefits and/or perks of the card based on your personal lifestyle and why the Chase relationship matters to you. You can add more butter on that toast however you like Smiley Wink

Let us know how it turns out either way.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. I'll definitely post an update. Thank you very much for your help.

Message 9 of 10
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase United Club Infinite Application Denied

Also, this card (i believe) comes with a minimum SL of $15,000, so they are probably more jumpy to extend that amount to you if your util is high

JR
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.