Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sapphire preffered?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase sapphire preffered?

Credit Karma tells me "very good" approval odds but shows "fair" for the freedom card? I'm a little skeptical that this is some type of marketing gimmick and I'm almost sure I won't bet approved for the sapphire preffered. Any suggestions?

CCT Scores FICO 8:

Experian - 663 w/ 10 Inq's (only 4 are CC's)

TransUnion - 622 w/ 3 Inq's (only 1 is CC)

Equifax - 657 w/ 5 Inq's (only 1 is CC)

Current credit cards:

CapOne Platinum just recently upgrade to QS. One year old - no missed payments $4k limit.

Discover It - $750 limit - 3 years old no missed payments.

What are some other good options for me if the Chase card isn't a good app? I feel like I should have another one or two. 

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase sapphire preffered?

From looking at other people who were approved for CSP, I think your scores need to get a little closer to 700ish (Chase seems to usually pull Experian), and they might need to see you with another card with a 5k limit before they will issue CSP because it has a minimum 5k limit.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other cards I should try for? Amex? I was preapproved for the green charge card but I'm not interested in that. 

Also Discover simply won't give me a CLI, even after 3 years of perfect payment history. It's BS. 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure - suggestions would be based on what kind of cards you are after though. CSP is a great travel card, so maybe a different travel card? I know people really love the Barclay's Arrival+, CapitalOne Venture, and BofA travel rewards cards.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

my only worry is most of those travel cards will likely want higher scores. barclay is a TU puller and 622 isn't going to get an arrival
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I called Cap1 yesterday to upgrade my Platinum to the QS, they also told me I was eligible for the Venture as well. Should I get that as a second Cap1 card? I don't really need a "travel" card. Just looking for another credit card with decent cash back / rewards that will thicken my profile. Ultimately it would be nice to establish a relationship with the lender and upgrade to a better card down the line. Maybe the Freedom card? Or one of the Amex every days?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

you probably aren't ready for an amex ED. and you need to determine what you want in a card specifically before you start applying.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma also shows me very good approval odds for the CSP. I can absolutely guarantee that I would get denied if I apped.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the cards that show up more often/at the top of every list are the ones that are being paid to be there.

Pretty sure I even remember reading some small print on their website stating so.

I would imagine if this is the case then they could easily raise your chances from a 'most likely a denial' to a 'good' chance if they are going to get more $$$ out of it.

After all, if they state in the fineprint that even a 'great chance' could result in a denial, they have themselves covered.

Back to the original question, as others have already stated, I would wait until your scores are hovering around the 700 mark before applying.

Chase also likes to see that you have a card with at least a $5k limit and also decent income as this card is intended for people who travel and spend a fair amount yearly.

As for other products, it depends on your spend, if you travel; and who you would travel with. 

Without knowing too much about your spending habits I would recommend the Citi DC or the Venture card as these cards both offer good rewards for general spending.

If you update us with your spending habits we might be able to give you better suited recommendations.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved today, also freedom was approved at same time. 1 year credit history. Ex 699 TU 692. I only have 2 CC , discover student,1300CL and credit one, 600CL.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.