Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA Pre-Selected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA Pre-Selected

Recently received a pre-select in the mail for the Citi American Airlines card. No real need/use for the AA travel card, as I am almost exclusively Delta, but I am interested in getting my foot in the door with Citi. Is this a good sign that I could have some degree of success with a different Citi product? Something like Citi DC?

Any insight woyuld be appreciated - thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi AA Pre-Selected

Usually mailers are something in that your credit profile matches selected criteria to throw a feeler out to you and not necessarily indicative of an actual pre-approval. Have you checked Citi's pre-qualification page yet and see what results you get?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, no I hadn't. I'm technically gardening, and wasn't actively seeking - got this in the mail and, it is on my 'wish list', so to speak. However, the opportunist in me has me thinking maybe this is an opening. I will try that - thanks!

Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually, no I hadn't. I'm technically gardening, and wasn't actively seeking - got this in the mail and, it is on my 'wish list', so to speak. However, the opportunist in me has me thinking maybe this is an opening. I will try that - thanks!

Then keep gardening lol. The scores alone that I see on your sig are good but dunno your status on applying for credit the past 6/12/24 months to say for sure. Citi has a few quirky application rules.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Then keep gardening lol. The scores alone that I see on your sig are good but dunno your status on applying for credit the past 6/12/24 months to say for sure. Citi has a few quirky application rules.

LOL, actually, keep gardening sounds like good advice. I am not long in turning around a fairly dismal credit sitch just due to bad choices, and not being focused. Great income out of college, ton of credit granted, misused.... But those days are passed, and - especially with the help of the Forum - never to return. That said, to your question, all but one of the credit cards in my sig were added in 2018: 3 in Jan; 1 in July; 4 in Aug. That all said, I think you're right - I will continue to stay the course, in the Garden.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI sends that offer to everybody. Its a good way to get into the door.

Their is other cards that are better worth you're time. CITI has great cards for each mindset. I personally have the AA Card as you mentioned, and I use it a lot. It really has helped me.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CITI sends that offer to everybody. Its a good way to get into the door.

Their is other cards that are better worth you're time. CITI has great cards for each mindset. I personally have the AA Card as you mentioned, and I use it a lot. It really has helped me.

Thank you for that feedback, it seems like a decent marketing tool for Citi. I have received several mailings for the AA program (all pre-selected, not pre-qual), which sounds very appealing, but as I am closest to a Delta hub, Delta is the natural choice for my airline for travel, and for that I have the AMEX Delta Platinum. 

Message 7 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you have don't travel then I wouldn't waste my time with this card.  I have the Citi AAdvantage Executive and I use it mostly for the Admiral Lounge as AA is the largest by fair here in my area.  And it also served a purpose when I didn't have another travel card that offered trip delay/interruption. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

If you have don't travel then I wouldn't waste my time with this card.  I have the Citi AAdvantage Executive and I use it mostly for the Admiral Lounge as AA is the largest by fair here in my area.  And it also served a purpose when I didn't have another travel card that offered trip delay/interruption. 

Thanks for sharing that, Loquat - that seems consistent with my thinking. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the AAdvantage platinum WEMC in december. They are a great company. Gave me $50 statement credit just becuase they acidentally sent me a duplicate card instead of my AUs card. Their card was overnighted which was perfect since we were flying out for Iceland the following weekend. That being said if you dont fly AA whats the point? Go for one of the Thankyou cards. The prestige is awesome per a friend. I have heard they love for people to carry balances and have heard that they denied ppl for 2nd cards saying the reason is they do not carry a balance and they like that.... seems odd and is not my style as I refuse to pay interest. Who knows.... I like the company so far tho!! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.