cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI length of time between attempts?

tag
Winchester2005
Valued Member

Citi CLI length of time between attempts?

Hello,

I am looking to attempt a SP CLI with my Citi cards (diamond and Simplicity), however I recently was declined for a SP CLI on my Diamond card ( Jan 20), I am going to have 4 credit cards payoff soon that will reflect on my credit, along with a mortgage drop off my report, and my newest account (auto loan) being a bit more seasoned (opened Nov 2020).

I know you have to wait 181 days between successful SP CLIs with citi, but is there a rule you have to wait the same amount of time if your first attempt was not successful?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI length of time between attempts?

@Winchester2005 wrote:

Hello,

I am looking to attempt a SP CLI with my Citi cards (diamond and Simplicity), however I recently was declined for a SP CLI on my Diamond card ( Jan 20), I am going to have 4 credit cards payoff soon that will reflect on my credit, along with a mortgage drop off my report, and my newest account (auto loan) being a bit more seasoned (opened Nov 2020).

I know you have to wait 181 days between successful SP CLIs with citi, but is there a rule you have to wait the same amount of time if your first attempt was not successful?

No rule for timeframe to ask again if you're denied. Citi generally does an AR SP once per month, so no sense in asking before 30 days from your most recent denial. I usually ask them the day after my cycle date once I'm eligible until they say yes. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, you can try any time. 

You might get it on next try or not, depending on the reason for denial.

What was the reason for denial? 

Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Winchester2005 wrote:

Hello,

No rule for timeframe to ask again if you're denied. Citi generally does an AR SP once per month, so no sense in asking before 30 days from your most recent denial. I usually ask them the day after my cycle date once I'm eligible until they say yes. 

I was denied for inquiries in August. I had exactly 0. 

Asked every other day and it worked on a third try (five days total), no new SP and no changes on CR during that time.

If OP was denied for high utilization on other cards, they will need to wait till payment is reflected on their CR and new SP is done 

If they carried balance for extended period of time, Citi will play once it's paid off (if other accounts are in check). 

If it's a combination of balance on citi card and other accounts, Citi card will need to be paid and payments on other cards will need to show, then they wait for next SP. 

Message 4 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Good grief, I think I just wrote my first IKEA instructions on how to get CLI 

Message 5 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Good grief, I think I just wrote my first IKEA instructions on how to get CLI 

Lol! No, that was good info though because I didn't think about it that way. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.