Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Card 2x Credit Increase Exploit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Card 2x Credit Increase Exploit

Hello,

Just thought I would share something interesting that I've been able to replicate a few times now with my Citi Best Buy Visa card and Home Depot store card. 

If you request a CLI, and it is approved, quickly go back to request a second CLI exactly the same as the first. I've done this every time I've had a CLI approved through Citi, and it has worked every time. Trying a third time results in a 7-10 day message and then you can't access the CLI rqeuest page for a while. 

Anyway, I was just able to get my Best Buy card increased to 15k from 10k with 2x $2500 increase requests. I'd love to hear if this works for others. 

Full disclosure, I first did this probably over 2 years ago, and it still works, but use this trick at your own risk of making Citi mad at you Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Card 2x Credit Increase Exploit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Just thought I would share something interesting that I've been able to replicate a few times now with my Citi Best Buy Visa card and Home Depot store card. 

If you request a CLI, and it is approved, quickly go back to request a second CLI exactly the same as the first. I've done this every time I've had a CLI approved through Citi, and it has worked every time. Trying a third time results in a 7-10 day message and then you can't access the CLI rqeuest page for a while. 

Anyway, I was just able to get my Best Buy card increased to 15k from 10k with 2x $2500 increase requests. I'd love to hear if this works for others. 

Full disclosure, I first did this probably over 2 years ago, and it still works, but use this trick at your own risk of making Citi mad at you Smiley Happy

Well, I had some free time so I broke out my Best Buy Visa card, and went on line. I have not had a CLI on that card ever but it is only about 7 or 8 months old. I was sure it would not work. So I did as you said, my line was $8,000. I filled out the page for the additional $2,500 and hit submit, INSTANT approved for $2,500. OK, nothing unsual there, so I hit the "back page" a few times, got back to the increase page, filled it out once again, did the review page right away as you said and hit "submit" INSTANT approved for another $2,500. Then the big test. Sign out and sign back in to see the actual credit line, either $10,500 or $13,000. HHMMM now $13,000. What can I say? LOL, but I am thinking it is a small amount maybe we could have just requested $5,000? who knows. But what you said did workSmiley Surprised

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 13
jcooks
Established Contributor

ugh, I thought this said Chase, now I ended up with double HP and the same credit limit

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Well, I had some free time so I broke out my Best Buy Visa card, and went on line. I have not had a CLI on that card ever but it is only about 7 or 8 months old. I was sure it would not work. So I did as you said, my line was $8,000. I filled out the page for the additional $2,500 and hit submit, INSTANT approved for $2,500. OK, nothing unsual there, so I hit the "back page" a few times, got back to the increase page, filled it out once again, did the review page right away as you said and hit "submit" INSTANT approved for another $2,500. Then the big test. Sign out and sign back in to see the actual credit line, either $10,500 or $13,000. HHMMM now $13,000. What can I say? LOL, but I am thinking it is a small amount maybe we could have just requested $5,000? who knows. But what you said did workSmiley Surprised

Thanks

Mark

Glad to hear it worked for you, that's awesome!

Message 4 of 13
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

ugh, I thought this said Chase, now I ended up with double HP and the same credit limit

Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but you cannot request a cli online with Chase.

Message 5 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but you cannot request a cli online with Chase.

I must really need coffee, as I am more confused now than everSmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

No HP on Citi CLI ???

Message 7 of 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@jcooks wrote:

Ouch. Sorry for your loss. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Ime Home Depot and Best Buy have always been hp and Citi will only approve you if you qualify for a cli. No tricks about itSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

No HP on Citi CLI ???

I have the same question, as both the Best Buy and Home Depot cards are Citi Retail Services cards with data points pointing to CLI requests triggering hard pulls.  How many hard pulls were there?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.