Did you mean: 

Citi Costco - 4506-T

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Costco - 4506-T

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

IMHO there's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this one. 

People on each side of this are usually firmly entrenched with their opinion and are unlikely to change their mind, and that's OK.  For some it's the principle, and for others it's a bit more technical.

For example, if there's a data breach and a dependent's information is compromised, who is liable?  One would hope it would be the issuer responsible for the breach, but it could also be argued that the applicant provided the information to begin with and shares responsibility (the dependent isn't a customer, after all).  Also, an ex-spouse's SS# is required to be on the tax return if alimony is paid... while some ex's might be understanding if there was a breach, some certainly would not... it could get interesting.

Some prefer to avoid the possibility of any of this and just say 'no' to the transcript.

What's objectively true is that issuers have the right to request the 4506-T, and equally we have the right to refuse to provide it, with the understanding that we (likely) won't be approved for the account or CLI, of course.

I agree completely....if the applicant is comfortable with surrendering all the data that is on a tax return to whichever financial institution, then I am not going to critisize their decision. I know I never will for a credit card, but the Target, Equifax and many other recent data breaches has me admittedly paranoid about voluntarily surrendering data that should not be needed just to verify income. What I don't know is the following...Is this data entered into their mainframes for any employee to access?...is it sold to what they refer to as partners?...Why is a W2 form and pay stub not sufficient for income verification?...And the biggie for me, I recieve income from my 401k which is on the associated 1099 forms which includes account numbers. No matter how unlikely, could this be used by a hacker to steal the 1/2 million dollars in that account? Probably not, but the fact that it is a question for me to even ask means the value of a credit card is simply not worth the risk. If I had dependant children, giving a credit card issuer a document with a ss# that someone might use for identity theft before they are even ready to establish their own credit profile would also be a bridge too far for me. The practice of CC issuers requesting a 4506-T is still too recent for the possible future pitfals and abuses of this voluntary surrender of this data to be fully known, and I do not wish to be on a future newscast regretting having given some Bernie Madoff charachter the data he needed to lead me to financial ruin.

The bigger question is: why do some financial institutions skip right to 4506-T before asking for W-2's and paystubs? In my mind, unless there's a significant discrepancy between the reported income and what's on the W-2/paystubs, there's no grounds for asking for my tax return.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 21 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@arkane wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

IMHO there's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this one. 

People on each side of this are usually firmly entrenched with their opinion and are unlikely to change their mind, and that's OK.  For some it's the principle, and for others it's a bit more technical.

For example, if there's a data breach and a dependent's information is compromised, who is liable?  One would hope it would be the issuer responsible for the breach, but it could also be argued that the applicant provided the information to begin with and shares responsibility (the dependent isn't a customer, after all).  Also, an ex-spouse's SS# is required to be on the tax return if alimony is paid... while some ex's might be understanding if there was a breach, some certainly would not... it could get interesting.

Some prefer to avoid the possibility of any of this and just say 'no' to the transcript.

What's objectively true is that issuers have the right to request the 4506-T, and equally we have the right to refuse to provide it, with the understanding that we (likely) won't be approved for the account or CLI, of course.

I agree completely....if the applicant is comfortable with surrendering all the data that is on a tax return to whichever financial institution, then I am not going to critisize their decision. I know I never will for a credit card, but the Target, Equifax and many other recent data breaches has me admittedly paranoid about voluntarily surrendering data that should not be needed just to verify income. What I don't know is the following...Is this data entered into their mainframes for any employee to access?...is it sold to what they refer to as partners?...Why is a W2 form and pay stub not sufficient for income verification?...And the biggie for me, I recieve income from my 401k which is on the associated 1099 forms which includes account numbers. No matter how unlikely, could this be used by a hacker to steal the 1/2 million dollars in that account? Probably not, but the fact that it is a question for me to even ask means the value of a credit card is simply not worth the risk. If I had dependant children, giving a credit card issuer a document with a ss# that someone might use for identity theft before they are even ready to establish their own credit profile would also be a bridge too far for me. The practice of CC issuers requesting a 4506-T is still too recent for the possible future pitfals and abuses of this voluntary surrender of this data to be fully known, and I do not wish to be on a future newscast regretting having given some Bernie Madoff charachter the data he needed to lead me to financial ruin.

The bigger question is: why do some financial institutions skip right to 4506-T before asking for W-2's and paystubs? In my mind, unless there's a significant discrepancy between the reported income and what's on the W-2/paystubs, there's no grounds for asking for my tax return.

I'm not arguing for the practice, but they likely do it since it's usually trivial to forge or alter a W-2 or paystub, while the 4506-T allows them to get your info directly from the government.

Message 22 of 26
sarge12
Senior Contributor

If a business relationship that starts with the CC issuer not trusting me to be honest about my income, it's bad. I sure do not trust any credit card issuer to protect that data, nor do I trust their motives for wanting it. I suspect they will sell it to partners. It is probably best for us both to just say no.

It is sort of like a marriage where one of the two wants a background check, and the other wants a pre-nup. If there is that much mutual distrust, it will likely end in failure.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 23 of 26
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I wish there could be a forum wide PSA that states only disclose income that can be verified based on current situations.  If you're around this forum long enough then you know the lenders that are likely to request the tax transcript.  If applying with those lenders then list your previous year stated income as that's what they'll want in the event they want additio  nal information and you choose to comply.

To those who ask why can't a lender accept another document as form of verification...well, because they don't want to.  It comes down to this, comply or don't but you don't get to tell them what they should or shouldn't accept.  At the end of the day, their money, their rules. 

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

As follow-up, I opted to not send in the form for exactly the reason sarge stated. If they don't trust me, it's not a relationship I want to be in. 

Access to my tax return provides a whole host of information that isn't necessary. And having already been part of two breaches and having my identity stolen by someone I knew another time, I am leary of sharing more than the minimum necessary. As stated in the original post, I have personally had a 35+% increase in my direct employment income in less than 15 months which means even my '17 return is significantly out of date. When you add in my household income that isn't reflected on my 1040, that's another 50%. So while the income provided to Citi was honest, accurate and 100% truthful (just clarifying for those who seem to think the request was triggered by an overstatement of income), their confirmation method would have caused questions. 

Message 25 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

With OP's response this thread is locked for future comments as everyone had their say and both view points were pointed out and OP choose to provide so nothing more to be said.  Thanks

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.