Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco Card Application Process Question

tag
heather06
New Contributor

Citi Costco Card Application Process Question

I got on Citi's pre-qual site yesterday and found that I am pre-approved for 5 of the citi cards. I have been getting offers in the mail for months for several of the cards. The Costco one had the lowest interest rate for me out of the 5 so is it better to go back on pre-qual site and apply from the button there or do it at store @ membership center/kiosk they have there? New to the ins/outs of app process and wondering if there are specifics I should know when applying for this card. have a mailed offer for simplicity that shows longer balance transfer & interest rate on mailer but interest rate on pre-qual site was not as low as mailed offer.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Costco Card Application Process Question

@heather06 wrote:

@I got on Citi's pre-qual site yesterday and found that I am pre-approved for 5 of the citi cards. I have been getting offers in the mail for months for several of the cards. The Costco one had the lowest interest rate for me out of the 5 so is it better to go back on pre-qual site and apply from the button there or do it at store @ membership center/kiosk they have there? New to the ins/outs of app process and wondering if there are specifics I should know when applying for this card. have a mailed offer for simplicity that shows longer balance transfer & interest rate on mailer but interest rate on pre-qual site was not as low as mailed offer.

Only one APR on the the costco card so it really shouldn''t matter whether you apply in store or on-line (pre-approved w/terms) for that card

Message 2 of 8
heather06
New Contributor

thanks creditcuriosity! Is there any difference/benefit to applying in store vs. online?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I don't think there should be a difference in terms of starting limits. The possible benefits of applying in store is the free gift they sometimes give out if you apply for the card Smiley Very Happy and also if you are approved in store you can go to customer service and they will give you a temporary card to use immediately. Good Luck.

Message 4 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You can also apply online and go to store to get the temp card to use for 14 days. That's what I did.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heather06 wrote:

@I got on Citi's pre-qual site yesterday and found that I am pre-approved for 5 of the citi cards. I have been getting offers in the mail for months for several of the cards. The Costco one had the lowest interest rate for me out of the 5 so is it better to go back on pre-qual site and apply from the button there or do it at store @ membership center/kiosk they have there? New to the ins/outs of app process and wondering if there are specifics I should know when applying for this card. have a mailed offer for simplicity that shows longer balance transfer & interest rate on mailer but interest rate on pre-qual site was not as low as mailed offer.

Im not sure Im qualified to answer this, but if it were me I'd probably ask on here like you did, and try to get hold of someone on the phone as well.  Im not saying it would necessarily help any more, but I suppose it's possible, and to me would be worth the effort.  As you noted, one card had different terms on the website than in the mail.  For that, I'd ask if you think youve had any significant change in score between when you'd guess the one offer was printed, vs when you checked online?  

Anyhow, I want to wish you the best of luck!  I just got approved a couple of days ago and am stoked, eagely awaiting it in the mail.  Let us know how it goes.  

Message 6 of 8
heather06
New Contributor

Re: Citi Costco Card Application Process Question - UPDATE: Got "Pending Review"

So I applied in store yesterday and got a pending review message according to the costco member who was helping me fill out app. she gave me a paper with my ID # on it and told me to call them tomorrow and ask when my card will be here as it means that they will send card in 7-10 days. I got an email that my Experian was hit but then did some research about "pending review" and found that i could go online on citi website to check status. I did that late last night and it stated that they could not approve me at this time and i should receive a notice in mail within 7 days.

Should I call recon line or wait until i get the letter in mail stating why they couldnt approve me? I went on pre-qual site and had several citi offers showing up which is why i applied thinking that it would likely get approved. I have not received an email from citi stating i was not approved - only saw the message once i checked status online.

What should me next step be? Call or wait for letter than call or just leave it be and try again in a few months?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Costco Card Application Process Question - UPDATE: Got "Pending Review"

When I applied I got the same pending message. I called this number 1-877-343-4118 it's the number specifically for the application status of the Costco visa card. The CSR asked me to verify my phone number and then finished processing my application and I was approved. So call them and find out. Good luck, you got this! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.