Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Diamond Preferred

Just got a "Pre-selected invitation in the mail today for this card, the APR on the letter says 24.99%

Obviously I would not carry a balance with that APR. Wonder why it's so high? I have very good credit, my utilizaratio is about 10% my history is not long just over 2 years.

I got turned down by Chase this past summer due to my short history, is that likely with Citi? Are they as hard nosed as Chase about credit history?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred

Citi is usually not as picky in Chase in my opinion to short history, but still have some funky rules. As it is a defined APR on a lower-tiered card, it is pretty solid from Citi, but your milage may vary.

I would ask yourself what this card does for you as you already have better cards. If you still have aspirations of Chase cards, it would be in your least interest to get this card. Citi is generally cards you get super early in your build or late IMO.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have about $3800 in total credit card debt right now, not paying any APR interest as cards have 0.0% APR for another 7 months except Discover expires in March 2020, the Capital One Card I rarely use. The Citi card has 18 month 0.0% APR so thinking about off-loading that debt onto Citi card if I get approved.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not pay down those balances while you still have 0% APR on the cards you have? If you go for it right now, Citi could give you a limit either very close to the amount of the BT or not enough IMO. If you pay them down over the next 5-6 months while still at APR, you will only help your credit and better chance for a good 0% BT APR card like a Chase Freeedom card that has a life after a BT instead.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi gives you 4 month to do a BT, they would give me my CL long before that.

The amount I would pay down on each card would not be that much, I would prefere to pay only on one card also.
Message 5 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ill just add i dont believe Citi to be an early rebuild type lender, they like to see history. I dont thinknof Citi as low tier credit cards either but again each person needs to determine which cards work for their spend and profile.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Diamond Preferred

I recently got another "Special Invitation" to apply for Citi's Diamond Preffered credit card.

I put the first one I got 2 months ago to the side, now I have another one I got a few days ago, neither one expires until February 2, 2020

I can understand getting the first one, just some company buying some consumer public credit files and blitzing them all with invitations but it's very unusual to get a 2nd one so close to the initial one I would think??

I don't know exactly what my public credit file says, probably not even my FICO score, definitely not my credit history length lol. They would never send me a Citi Card if they knew that.

What do you guys think? Citi cards are hard to get I heard with less than 5 years credit history.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much history do you think they need?
Message 9 of 19
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

My fiancée gets non stop special invitations from Citi for basically all their cards. It’s actually gotten to the point where it’s annoying, but we haven't applied for any of them.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.