Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash Card

tag
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Citi Double Cash Card

Hey everyone, I am currently looking over my current credit cards and the rewards I get from them.  For many years now I have been using my BofA WMS PSU alumni card which only gives me 1% cash back. I today PCd my other BoA card from standard platinum plus to cash rewards and I will start using that for gas it gives 3%, it also gives 2% for groceries. 

Currently I also have the following credit cards: Macys AmericanExpress and I am authorized user on Chase Slate and Aviator AAdvantage (my parents cards)

I do not have a really good rewards card for everyday expenses. In the last 10 years I was able to cash in 3K just by using my BofA WMC and that only gives me 1% back. I was thinking of appying for Citi Double Cash and start collecting 2% on all of my purchases. I was wondering if that is a good enough reason to apply for credit card. Should I conder a different card?

My credit is very good, my score is well over 800, my AAoA is close to 10 years, I have a really good mix of credit between auto loans, student loans, credit cards (19 accounts in total, 6 open) I only have a car loan left and in 3 months that will be paid off and I will be debt free. I do not have any credit inquiries and my salary is between 80-100K

If I were to apply for that Citi Double Cash, what credit line limit should I expect? Which credit does Citi pull? Should I be applying for it just to have the extra rewards? Any feedback and advise will be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash Card

almost impossible to tell what CL you'll get but they are decently conservative. if you don't get a good limit you can do a hp for a CLI.
Message 2 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Getting a card for the extra savings is always a good option 

That being said you should also consider the redemption options as well 

Citi gives 2% but it's as you pay the card balance off so if you carry a balance the rewards will lag in when they'll come in and you should also consider the thresholds of redemption amounts 

However using it as a catch all for general spend is a good choice 

The fidelity visa card is also another option for 2% on general spend 

Edit to add 

They'll pull EX, EQ or possibly both

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 19
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your inputs. in order for me to get full benefits out of the Citi card I would need a decent CL. My WMC I have is 24K and I never have to worry about maxing out or even using high percentage of my limit. There are times when I purchase items for 5K, 3K, etc. I do not want a card with a limit of lets say 4K and not be able to purchase those big items on top of my every day spending. I know I could pay off the balance before statment comes out but sometimes I do not want to worry about that.

I am considering the Fidelity Visa as it also has 2% cash back and it seems like a good card as well. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second that you may want to think twice about the Double Cash in this case. 

My general spend card right now is the CapitalOne QS, while "only" 1.5%, I appreciate the instant nature of accrual and redemption. You can apply any existing accrual at any time.

On a long term scale, however, a 2% card would end up being more monterarily beneficial so you might want to pursue the Fidelity card if the only concern you have is the SL.

Message 5 of 19
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I decited to pull the trigger and I applied for the Citi Double Cash. My appplication needed more information and had a message pop up to give them a call. I called them gave them some info and the lady told me she needs to verify my address so I will get a letter in the mail to send some stuff in (like a utility bill). I asked if they did a hard pull yet or what is the status of my application she told me they are still reviewing it and not until do they get the requested info my application will not be processed until than. 

From your experiance at this point in the application did they do a HP of my credit? I will be checking to see if anything shows up but wanted to verify with you guys.  I am really annoyed that I have to go through this (although I did move 6 months ago), I have to wait over a week to get a letter from them, by the time I send it back to them and they process my application and by the time I get my card it will be a month if not more. I have so many big expenses coming up and I wanted to start getting my 2% asap. 

This makes me really annoyed as my credit history is nearly perfect.

This is making me wanna drop this application if they did not do a HP yet and try Fidelity see if they will have the same problem Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Simple verification 

Do your CR's show the new address? 

If not this is what probably caused the processing extra step 

If this is the case it's for your protection and theirs so you can't be hurt by an extra security measure

The HP has occurred and that part is a done deal no doubt in my mind of that

Good luck 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 19
Appleman
Valued Contributor

You may want to look into one of the Discover cards. I know some members have gotten offers to have their cashback from the entire year doubled. Would be worth looking into for the potential to double cash back.

Message 8 of 19
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I did look into that card, I am still considering it. My friend has it and I been looking into the different categories that they rotate every quarter and I don't know if I would benefit from them that much. They would give you the double points but only for the first year and I am looking into something long term to have and just work for me. 

Message 9 of 19
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I finally decited to apply and was approved for 12K with 13.24 APR, so excited. Thanks for all of your inputs and help

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.