Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Retail Credit Cards Nightmare

tag
sailingnomore
Established Member

Citi Retail Credit Cards Nightmare

Happy Thursday Everyone!!! 

6 months ago I went on an app spree with Citi Retail and was approved for a Shell MasterCard (1k) , Brooks Brothers Mastercard (1.5k)& L.L Bean Mastercard (4.7k)

I requested CLI's on all accounts and was denied due to insufficient history on each account + 3 hard pulls (EQ) only , strangely enough , Experian was the only one pulled for approval for all 3.

Does anyone have success with Citi Retail Cards & CLI's? I only see posts about citi top (branded) cards double cash , diamond etc... 

I'm scared that I might have to cancel one or two of them .. who wants a hard pull for a CLI's ? 

TU- 730 , EX- 735 , EQ- 700

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Retail Credit Cards Nightmare

I had the Brooks Brothers store card from 2014 to 2017. I applied when it was issued by GE/Synchrony and got my only CLI was an automatic one after 2 or 3 months (during the GE servicing).

$1,260 to $1,560. Kind of ridiculous given the cost of a suit as well as my credit profile. I'd had a $6,000 Amex BCE for three months and two months after that $1,260 approval I got a $7,500 CSP.

I ended up closing the account. If you're on the mailing list, the additional savings from the card are quite small. Maybe the card will be more useful as they reorganize in BK. There's also the corporate discount some employers offer.

But no automatic CLIs for me in the two years I had the card under Citi despite using it maybe 3 or 4 times a year and PIF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 21
blindambition
Senior Contributor

City Retail cards can and do have HP CLI. Depends on the CO-branded retailer.

A search will give DP on all that do HP. Which is most.

Message 3 of 21
sailingnomore
Established Member

Thanks for the info! Do you remember scores when you received the BCE? 

Message 4 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@sailingnomore wrote:

Thanks for the info! Do you remember scores when you received the BCE? 

Maybe 750, but scores on thin files don't mean much, anyway.

I got BCE in 8/14. At the time I had a $2k Freedom (11/13), a $2k Discover (3/14), and an Amex charge card (5/14). No lates or other baddies. No other credit history.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this will help but I received a SP CLI from Citi for the Wayfair card yesterday. $1500 - $4500. Card was just opened this month. But I specifically asked the rep if a HP was needed and she said no bc it was under 30 days since opening. I took that to mean any future CLI requests will result in a HP. $4500 is more than sufficient so I won't be using any inqs to request more. 

Message 6 of 21
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this will help but I received a SP CLI from Citi for the Wayfair card yesterday. $1500 - $4500. Card was just opened this month. But I specifically asked the rep if a HP was needed and she said no bc it was under 30 days since opening. I took that to mean any future CLI requests will result in a HP. $4500 is more than sufficient so I won't be using any inqs to request more. 

I just got the Best Buy card this morning, are you suggesting it's worth calling within the next month to try for a SP CLI?

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ToxikPH truthfully, I haven't been around long enough to offer advice on anything beyond my limited experience. But from the few threads I read on the issue + my result I think its worth a call. As long as you make sure to confirm its a SP can't hurt to try. 

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks here can chime in. 

Message 8 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got the Best Buy card this morning, are you suggesting it's worth calling within the next month to try for a SP CLI?

If you are wanting to have the initial SL reconsidered, you'd have to either go to the store and have them contact the UW department or see whether you can reach that specific team on your own.  You would need to do this within less than 30 days as they can still review it with the same HP.   No guarantees since YEMV, but can't hurt to try.

If you wait after 30 days, it'll be a separate HP.  It's fairly rare for Citi retail CCs to get SP CLIs (except for those from DSNB).

Message 9 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sorry about your denials

Just curious, why, after the first denial, did you try the other two ??

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.