Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One CLI

Hi! I was wondering when Credit One will offer a CLI? I tried requesting one on the phone but was denied. I've had 2 statements and have paid the balance in full both months. 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit One CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi! I was wondering when Credit One will offer a CLI? I tried requesting one on the phone but was denied. I've had 2 statements and have paid the balance in full both months. 

When I had the card I was offered one at the year mark. There was a fee for it so I declined it and closed the card.

Message 2 of 20
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Except in VERY rare cases, you have to wait at least 6 months for a CLI...and it's usually automatically offered.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 3 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I have read, sometimes calling and saying that your interested in closing the acct., can yield results?

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had mine for about 4 months, used it very heavily and paid in full each month. Around 6 months I got a CLI of 300 to make the total limit 800, and was also offered a second card with a 950 limit. They have both sat at those limits for like 3 years now. Credit one gets a lot of grief and they really have no perks, but they got my credit to improve enough to start getting other lenders to consider me. So hopefully yours grows, but if it doesn't, there will be other lenders who give you a card that will. 

Message 5 of 20
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

I suspect that Credit One is never going to give you a huge CL. It just doesn't seem like their business model.

If you're to the point that you deserve a better limit, then go get a better card. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of peeps like to rag on credit one but I've had nothing but good with them. Without them I wouldn't have been able to hammer my rebuild journey. I have two accounts with them still one from 2014 the other from 2016. 

First Card Then:

- started as their standard "platinum" card

- $200 limit

- $7.25/mo annual fee

- fees for expedited payments 

First Card Now:

- $1500 limit 

- first Cli I had to pay $14.95 for ($300 cli)

- every other Cli offer I've called to decline and when they asked why I said due to fees. Every cli has been free if I'm "saddened" enough Bc of our long relationship

- other CLI $500 in nov 2018, $350 in April 2019 and they hit me with a surprise auto cli of $150 this billing cycle sept 2020

- called April 2019 to get the cli fee waived and while there complained about this being my only annual fee card, they modified the card to remove the annual fee permanently as a gesture of goodwill to keep me from closing it because of our long relationship

Second Card Then:

- offered second account in 2016 with no AF

- SL $750

- accepted to get more payments reporting

- score was abysmal at the time 

- CLI of $250 (can't remember date but was about a year after I got it so 2017) offered with fee. Called they waived fee

- Auto CLI of $500 July 2019 (no fee)

They can be a bit of a pain to get on the phone but the reps have always been polite. 

Ive had times where cards were maxed out for months on end making mins and then I PIF and let them sit -- that generated my CLI offers. Normal use and PIF each month resulted in no CLI request but letting a high balance sit a few months then PIF almost ways has generated an offer of a CLI. 

They actively watch for fraud. I tried using the card to buy an Apple Watch through Apple and they locked the card down. I called they released saying they just wanted to make sure it was valid. 

They're my lowest limit cards now but with no AF I'm basically sock drawer with them now for my AAOA as well as Utilization I keep them open charging my newspaper subscription to one and my trash to another monthly. They're happy and I'm happy to have em reporting payments every month. 

Best I can say from my experience treat em well and they'll treat you well. I've never had issue with them. 

My only complaint - standard payments sometimes take 3-4 business days to show as available even after they got their loot and the balance reports as paid but I never NEED to have that available with them now. 

YMMV but unlike a lot of others I've had zero issues with them. Hope this helps. 

Message 7 of 20
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Just was offered 2 cli today, 1 free which I took and then the other went from 14.95? I think to free so I took it too. Need to call and try to get fees waived since I got my NFCU card. Crazy though got better cli from credit one than cap1!

Message 8 of 20
MyFault
Valued Contributor

I believe Credit One's highest limit is $2500. They would give me a CLI every 6 months, while charging me and I stupidly paid it because I didn't know any better at the time, until I hit $2500 and I never saw another one. They just kept offering me a new account which is stupid. My card had an annual fee, and Credit One also charges interest on day 1, instead of the 20-24 day grace period on every other card.

Once your score is above 700 or you have another couple cards with decent limits, get rid of Credit One and never look back. They helped me rebuild my credit also, but that's all they are and then throw them away. They're not a good company to hold on to. They're crooks.
Discover or Capital one, would be a company I'd hold on to after a rebuild. Even though I despise Capital One, personally.

|  
Message 9 of 20
Snoopy916
Valued Member

CO was the first card willing to give me a decent CL after my bk a little over 2 years ago.

I got the Visa with a $1650 limit just a month or 2 after discharge. I only used it a few times for very small amounts and paid it off right away due to the 0 grace period. 

about 6 months later they offered me a MC with an $800 limit and a grace period, and i accepted that. 

2 years later, both cards finally just offered me my first CLI (no fee or credit pull) of $250 each. 

my score is showing now as 710, not sure if that matters. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.