Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU asking for Social Security Card

tag
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Re: DCU asking for Social Security Card

I look at this way.  They wanted to see the Social as a method to assure that the Social was correct, and that the applicant was truly you.  In other words, in the end they not only wished to protect themsleves but also YOU.  hard to get mad when the action protects you.   Reduces the chance of identity theft.

Seems to me this is similar to a the camp where my kids are going each day this summer.   I went to pick them up, which is rare as my wife does this.  The staff asked to see my ID.  They were very applogetic about it, and my response was, wait, you want to see my ID as a means to protect my children and you think I will have a problem with this?   This is great.  They advised that nearly every parent gets upset.   

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry but asking for POI sscard proof of residence and license is overkill. NFCU was none of the above, even the 25k SL for NFCU was nada. Chase none of the above. So all that just to get a checking acct? Ridiculous. 

DCU is a credit union, and most credit unions will ask for such documentation as a condition for membership.  Then I noticed this recent comment from you and wondered why you would even bother applying when you already know they will ask for POI.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

POI would be for car loan no? Never had anyone ask for it for a CC. NFCU seems heaven sent at this point. 6.5 k SL then 3 months later flagship 25k SL no verification etc needed. Tempted to go for card # 3 but don't want to screw up relationship. Only reason I was going with DCU is because my Fico EQ5 is like 770+ while my EQ is around 675....sadly there arent many cards running EQ5.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The real question is, who doesn't  have a copy of their own SS card laying around? Although I don't need it often, I do need it when applying for jobs and sometimes for other assorted stuff that requires proof that I am who I say I am. DCU asked me for SS card, license and proof of residence when I applied for only a savings account. Although I think it might be a bit overkill to request all 3 of these things just for a savings account, I happily complied because I really want that 5% APY savings account. If it's their policy to request all these documents, that's fine with me. It's only for your protection and to prevent fraud I guess *shrug* It might be a bit uncommon for some creditors to ask for it but it's simply another proof of identity, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Filled out app and then asked to provide social sec card. What a joke. Who the hell has a SSC??? what is this 1984? Havent been asked for one in decades. Told her to dithc my app as I already have chase, nFCU and bofa and never asked for it. Good riddance.

🙋🏽‍♀️ I have one. 

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

POI would be for car loan no? Never had anyone ask for it for a CC. NFCU seems heaven sent at this point. 6.5 k SL then 3 months later flagship 25k SL no verification etc needed. Tempted to go for card # 3 but don't want to screw up relationship. Only reason I was going with DCU is because my Fico EQ5 is like 770+ while my EQ is around 675....sadly there arent many cards running EQ5.

NFCU requires POI for credit cards above $25,000; that requirement exists even if you haven't encountered it yet.

Section 326 of the PATRIOT Act requires all U.S. financial institutions to have a Customer Identification Program in place.  The CIP requirement gives financial institutions flexibility over what they can request for identification from a customer.  So all banks don't have the same identification requirements, but they all ask for some sort of customer identification.

I'm pretty sure you had to tell Navy your Social Security number.

Message 16 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wonder how many people would balk if Navy asked for POI just to get 25k limits? Seems fair to me as they are lending out their money to give people such high limits. I know heading into Credit Unions there is always chance POI will be required. Wish I made more money lol but it is what it is and SSN/SSC is just part of being an American citizenSmiley Wink
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU requires POI for credit cards above $25,000; that requirement exists even if you haven't encountered it yet.

Section 326 of the PATRIOT Act requires all U.S. financial institutions to have a Customer Identification Program in place.  The CIP requirement gives financial institutions flexibility over what they can request for identification from a customer.  So all banks don't have the same identification requirements, but they all ask for some sort of customer identification.

Not sure what you are talking about. Giving them my SSN is not what I was complaining about. Its the faxing of a picture of the actual SScard.   -  Moderator Edit - Political statements are a violation of MyFICO's Forums Terms of Serviceand please make sure posts adhere to the guidelines set forth in Friendly, Supportive and Respectful

Irish80
MyFICO Moderator

Message 18 of 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about. Giving them my SSN is not what I was complaining about. Its the faxing of a picture of the actual SScard.   -.

IMO that was a good move on your part to edit your original reply - I saw the pre-edit content. 

This isn't exactly rocket science - if an issuer makes a request you aren't comfortable with complying with, just move on and look to take your business elsewhere.   If you can't find someone whose requirements you're comfortable with complying with, you can choose to either consider alternative ways of compliance, the suitability of your objections, or to do without.

FWIW I would not want to FAX or email a copy/picture of my SSN card either.  I would however consider mailing a copy with an appropriate delivery confirmation option.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about. Giving them my SSN is not what I was complaining about. Its the faxing of a picture of the actual SScard.

Federal law requires all financial institutions to have a Customer Identification Program a.k.a. "know your customer."  Federal law also gives financial institutions discretion over what documents they can accept from customers as proof of identity.  So some banks accept Social Security numbers while others require an actual copy of your Social Security card.

Credit unions, since they are member-based and are usually smaller than other types of financial institutions, tend to ask for more identification documentation than national banks/lenders.  Credit Unions like United Nations FCU and BCU  ask for copies of social security card, driver's license, and two years of proof of income.  But on the other hand they approve credit lines of up to $100,000 so its a trade-off.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.