cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU denied my CC visa application Darn it!

tag
professorr
Regular Contributor

DCU denied my CC visa application Darn it!

Oh Well.  I have been with DCU for a few years.  Have a FICO of 650 but a 2013 BK and some lates from 3 years ago plus a collection chargeoff from 1.5 years ago.  Was hoping because of my use in deposits and savings plus having used their $1k quick loan successfully that I'd have a shot.  Called rep and said because of past lates and collection.  they said if they could have offered lowered they would.  

I am sending a reconsideration to the loan officer and see if it helps to get it.  Funny, Discover just gave me a $4K credit card 3 weeks ago. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: DCU denied my CC visa application Darn it!

@professorr wrote:

Funny, Discover just gave me a $4K credit card 3 weeks ago. 

Not too shabby!  (I'm jealous Smiley Tongue)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Discover doesn't mind badies as typically that is their target market segment aka people out of BK or new to credit, etc(more likely to carry balances and pay interest).. Where-as DCU has a whole different UW theory.    Sorry about the denial though.

Message 3 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Discover doesn't mind badies as typically that is their target market segment aka people out of BK or new to credit, etc(more likely to carry balances and pay interest).. Where-as DCU has a whole different UW theory.    Sorry about the denial though.

You're holding back, CC. Big time. 

Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

You're holding back, CC. Big time. 

Lol I gotta lead by example and be FSR not just to OP, but to the forum as a whole Smiley Happy.  Don't want to get into the whole what i consider sub-prime lender vs. prime lender in this example so just kept it short aka held back as you would say it.  Just explaining why he got discover and not dcu Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, Discover still denying meSmiley Sad I should join the DC UniverseSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

A lot of CUs are more conservative esp when it comes to unsecured credit....Then there are others who are a bit more accomodating (Navy comes to mind)...  Theres a lot of misiniformation regarding CUs in general .. A lot of them do not really care to help those in the lower end of the credit pool even though they brag about doing so.. while others put their money where their mouth is and give folks a chance...

Discover has moved toward being more liberal granting credit in relation to scores (Note I am not referring to CLIs, but the initial granting of credit/opening account.. Miss Disco is mostly unpredictable on that.. folks here are still trying to figure it out to no avail) ... Its only been in the past few years they started offering a secured option... Hence why some folks do not consider them a "prime" lender due to their targeting of revolvers vs transactors, bucketing, and their tiers of ABS.... They are going for "average" borrowers, new and thin borrowers, and accepting those with some less clean reports.... even with some of the nerfs of the Disco card benifits, Its still a card I like and has a useful place in my portfolio... 

In regards to DCU.... (Digital Credit Union) ... throw some money into their savings account (that gets 5% and up to 1000$) and wait a few months... work on your profile.. and then think of trying again later... their CC isnt great IMHO and there are better options for rewards and even APR (last I checked)... 

Message 7 of 11
professorr
Regular Contributor

The strange thing is that 2 months ago (not even) Discover only offered me a secured card.

Message 8 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@averagejoescredit

Are you trying both your discovers for a CLI?

Just curious ....

-J

Message 9 of 11
professorr
Regular Contributor

I only got the one card and no to trying for a CLI as they tend to give automatically after 4 months or something.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.