Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Credit One CI due to website error

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Credit One CI due to website error

I haven't received a CI from Credit One in over a year. So I called to get one and the denied me claiming my Experian score is 389. I explained their credit score service on their website has always been incorrect and my Experian score is currently 711.  They told me I had to call Experian which I did. EX told me a lot of lenders use their own algorithms and then lie and slap a credit bureau on it. I called back and they claim I have to wait 60 days. Even tho their website is always wrong. 

Now common sense would be if my score was 389 why would I even ask for a CI. The crazy part last year my score was hella less. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 6.46.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 6.46.24 PM.png

14 REPLIES 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied Credit One CI due to website error

The website is not incorrect; it's simply a different scoring model.  The Credit One scores provided are based on Experian data, but others have reported them not lining up with any known Vantage, PLUS, or FICO scores so it assumed this is a proprietary score and cannot be directly compared to any other scores you may obtain.

Message 2 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yup, proprietary score with no way of knowing how they come up with it and/or whether it's "correct."

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 15
Phoenixupward
Regular Contributor

I would take that as a sign.  Your scores have gotten better.  I would join a credit union like Navy Federal if you can and open a secured credit card account and within in 5-6 months, you would be open to higher starting limits.  For example, Navy Federal requires 200 dollars to open a secured credit card account and within 6 months you will have an increased starting limit for 2k and your initial funds returned.  If can't join Navy Federal, there are several credit unions that would give you a fair shot to better credit products. 

Message 4 of 15
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Do you have any derogatory info on your credit reports? How's DTI, age of accounts? What other cards do you have? 

Im asking all this because your TransUnion and Experian F8's definitely qualify you for better than credit one . Equifax is kinda edgy but should still qualify you for something else better. I'd hit up the discover and Amex prequal's to see what if anything they're offering (provided there's no baddies) and if you got approved then kick credit one to the curb.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 5 of 15
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Not sure where that glitch is.  Credit One actually provides a FICO score (Ex 2 I believe).  Something in your profile must just be throwing a wrench into their FICO scoring machine.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 6 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Credit One might use FICO scores for other purposes but the one shown is not a FICO score (they would be required to disclose that it's a Fair Isaac score).

But definitely things in OP's profile that whatever that scoring model is does not like.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a checking account with Navy Fed last month. I'm on the fence of getting any more cards b/c I have a lot. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had Cred1 for a couple years now The subprime are from when my credit was shot. Thinking about closing them. I have some lates from 2018. Hopefully the sting of them will drop soon. 

Message 9 of 15
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous  I mean at this point you have pretty decent credit. I would get rid of all subprime cards. Try for discover chase amex nfcu but dont sweat credit one.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.