Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Citi card for a single inquiry!! 778 EQ

tag
mbauza86
Contributor

Denied for Citi card for a single inquiry!! 778 EQ

Just got denied for a CITI card because I had too "credit inquiries"....

I literally have 1 single inquiry from 9/3/2022 and another one from 2/1/2021 - almost two years ago!!!!

I've called the recon line, and I swear they're reading a script and do not care. I'm like how is "one single inquiry" too many?????!!!

Has anyone had any luck getting Citi to reconsider? I'm livid, what a joke and waste of inquiry.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied for Citi card for a single inquiry!! 778 EQ

Can always try EO office in stickied post.  Sounds excessive if real reason is only 1 inquiry in last 24 months.  They are like 6 months strict wiht inquiries or possibly even a year on some profile, but not two years like your case that you laid out. 

Recently got approved from Citi Premier few months back then denied few weeks ago for Best buy visa which is retail side for inquiries on TU.  like 3 from CC's and rest mortgage stuff from new house which I could believe and can accept although suprised me due to retail side vs. legacy which i assume you applied for such as DC, Custom cash or the likes

Message 2 of 10
SDMarik
Established Contributor

@mbauza86 wrote:

I literally have 1 single inquiry from 9/3/2022 and another one from 2/1/2021 - almost two years ago!!!!

I've called the recon line, and I swear they're reading a script and do not care. I'm like how is "one single inquiry" too many?????!!!

Has anyone had any luck getting Citi to reconsider? I'm livid, what a joke and waste of inquiry.

That is a bummer, a denial for a single INQ seems odd for sure. However, they are only required to give you one reason for a denial, there can be other reasons for it, but they only chose to put "too many inquiries" as the denial reason.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 3 of 10
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Actually Citi can see 24 months of inquiries like any other bank. So you got denied for 2 inquiries. The thing is that in the past they were not as strict going a measly 6 months or just 12 months during the pandemic but they have been known to expand to the full 24 if there is a reason for it. Right now the economy is suffering from high inflation so they probably do not want to issue new cards if they can get away with it. You just need a much stronger profile than what you have at this time and inquiries is one of the things they are looking at.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 10
Janneman
Established Contributor

@mbauza86 wrote:

I swear, I got denied for the same reason a few months ago for Citi Custom card for just having ONE inquiry in 24 months. I called their reconsideration line, which was totally useless...The lady just wanna read the script of denial than understanding ...I requested to speak with a supervisor....and supervisor was treated me as if I was a serial killer just because I was respectfully and softly explaining as to why one inquiry in 2 yrs was considered "too many inquiries"...I was trashed by Supervisor lady and warned me not to call anymore to reconsideration line as they are not going to change their decision. I might never apply for Citi...They denied me with 803 score with one inquiry in 24 months with 0% utilization and very thick profile..the mainly how I was treated.

Message 5 of 10
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

i swear citi is pretty conservative with their UW - i have a friend who has a persoanl banking relationship with them scores in the high 700s and still cant get approved smh 

i feel like once i have the ability to aquire a citi card in the future ill know my credit is in good shape 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 6 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

i swear citi is pretty conservative with their UW - i have a friend who has a persoanl banking relationship with them scores in the high 700s and still cant get approved smh 

i feel like once i have the ability to aquire a citi card in the future ill know my credit is in good shape 

You shouldn't base your creditworthiness on the opinion of one bank.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

You shouldn't base your creditworthiness on the opinion of one bank.

Message 8 of 10
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Citi is weird, and can be rough.

Beginning in 2004, I had several Citi cards with good limits. They were my go-to cards in each case. Perfect payment history, good scores in the high 700s when. 800 was the maximum...Suddenly, one day in 2009, they jacked up my APR on all cards to stratospheric levels. This was long (6 years) before I began treading water due to external circumstances (pay cut). I still consider Citi the beginning of my descent into hell. I still take responsibility but Citi did not help the situation at all. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 9 of 10
CrSter

Make sure you're looking at the relevant credit bureau report - the one that Citi pulled.

I have more inquiries on one bureau than on the others.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.