Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for EDC and Now I'm Pre-Approved for All Their Cards

tag
SGT_Major
Established Member

Denied for EDC and Now I'm Pre-Approved for All Their Cards

Right before X'mas I applied for the EDC and was not approved for too many inquiries (7, 4 of which are car loans).  2 have dropped off and now I'm showing 5 inquiries.  The other 2 car loan inquiries will drop off in May.  I didn't buy the vehicle each time.   I've been in the garden ever since the EDC disapproval.  Today I logged into my account and decided to see if I was pre-approved for anything.  It's now showing I'm pre-approved for all their cards now.  WTH!  I have the Blue Cash Magnet with 13K CL.  If I applied for one their cards within the 6 months, would I get approved?  Doesn't make sense to be disapproved and now I pre-approved for all AMEX cards.  Has anyone experienced this?  Did you apply?  Were you approved?  I'm inclined to stay put until the other 2 auto loan inquiries drop off.  Thanks in advance.

Experian FICO 8 - 710 with $111,640 income.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied for EDC and Now I'm Pre-Approved for All Their Cards

If the card says...."SGT_Major expanding your membership is easy....." (or something to that effect) its typically a denial.

If it says you're pre-approved, its typically highly likely approval.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 2 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

If the card says...."SGT_Major expanding your membership is easy....." (or something to that effect) its typically a denial.

If it says you're pre-approved, its typically highly likely approval.

Just to clarify the bolded part.  This is not always the case. It's basically like any other submitted 'cold' application which can go in either direction.  In the span of several years, I've submitted several AmEx applications that didn't have a pre-approved offer and ended up being approved.  This will vary from individual to individual, though.

That being said @SGT_Major, if a pre-approved offer displays online, chances are your overall profile became more optimal since the last attempt and you could easily be approved.  In rare instances, some of these can still be denied (e.g. too many recent [revolver] AmEx applications, maximum internal lending limit reached, etc.). 

Message 3 of 6
SGT_Major
Established Member

Thanks for the replies.  I read on other posts about "expanding your membership" and mine now says Congratulations............, you are pre-approved!  Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds."  I get that message when I click apply now.  I still don't get it how I got declined for the EDC and now this.  One more question, please?  Will the preapprovals disappear over time If you don't apply for any of the cards?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar experience. I’ve had Amex BCP for 3 yrs. was denied a CLI but approved for the Amex Gold. Now I’m pre approved for all of them including the Platinum card. Also with no HP.
Message 5 of 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@SGT_Major wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I read on other posts about "expanding your membership" and mine now says Congratulations............, you are pre-approved!  Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds."  I get that message when I click apply now.  I still don't get it how I got declined for the EDC and now this.  One more question, please?  Will the preapprovals disappear over time If you don't apply for any of the cards?

They sometimes go away only to reappear at a later date.  

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.