Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

Hey guys, im not sure if this thread will stick but i figured id give it a try to create a thread only related for those looking to app a second Discover card, most likely the It card but since their selection isnt that big other cards could be included.

Though their is another Discover unofficial data point thread, i want this one to be more focused for those considering apping a second Discover card so they can see data points from those of us who have experiencd this. Please include , if you remember, your Fico score when applied, and any pertinent info like previous credit limit, any promos offered with app like 0% apr, bt offers etc.

If this doesnt last or gets merged i understand but hopwfully the few of us who have closed our first Discover cards and reapped can shed light to those thinking of doing soSmiley Happy Thanks everyone, ill begin......

Message 1 of 431
430 REPLIES 430
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover 2nd ( second) card app thread

1st Discover It card opened :

0ct 2016 HP TU Fico 695 sl $2500 0% APR 12 months Double Cashback promo
* 3 separate $500 sp cli increases

1st Discover It closed :

Nov 2017 TU Fico 738 final CL $4000

2nd Discover It opened:

Feb 2018 HP EX Fico 750 sl $5000 0% APR 6 months 18 month BT offer *Double cashback promo offered again*
Message 2 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why close the first one? You can hold two It cards at the same time.
Message 3 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes you can, in my case i closed my first due to feeling like it wasnt heading anywhere. If you have 2 cards open or closed you can post details here. Many have been where i was , in Disco limbo lol and this just goes to show, getting a second one may actually be better for someone. Recent post have shown this.

Another thing interesting, and why i wanted to start this thread is too see how many of us are being offered cashback match again. Per their website, the dcb is offered at their descretion so its interesting to see if everyone gets offered this after a year of already having received it or not.
Message 4 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st Discover IT:

March 22, 2017 - $2500 SL, 14-month 0% APR promo with cashback match, accepted pre-qualification online, TU score somewhere around 630; auto-CLI'ed to $3000 in June 2017, "luv button" $300 CLI's in June and September 2017, auto-CLI'ed to $4500 in December 2017.

2nd Discover IT:

March 12, 2018 - $5000 SL, 14-month 0% APR promo with cashback match, accepted pre-qualification online, TU score around 670 (was in flux because of heavy payoff/paydown activity on my CC portfolio). I'm planning to make more effective use of the quarterly 5% cash back offers this time, starting with putting as much grocery spending as possible on this card during April-June.

The older card is open at this time, but I plan to combine it into the newer card next March. (In fact, combining the cards to get a better CL was a major reason for me getting the new card.)

Message 5 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks joe8185, this is what i meant. Please check your 1st Disco opening date. Did you mean Mar16?
Message 6 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops. I meant March 12, 2018 for the 2nd card. I'll fix that. Also, technically I opened the 2nd card with still about 10 days to go to a full year, but I think Discover counts from the first day of the month in which you got a card rather than the actual date of approval.

Message 7 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
Yes you can, in my case i closed my first due to eeling like it wasnt heading anywhere. If you have 2 cards open or closed you can post details here. Many have been where i was , in Disco limbo lol and this just goes to show, getting a second one may actually be better for someone. Recent post have shown this.

Another thing interesting, and why i wanted to start this thread is too see how many of us are being offered cashback match again. Per their website, the dcb is offered at their descretion so its interesting to see if everyone gets offered this after a year of already having received it or not.

This is exactly why I'll apply for a second one when it's time and probably end up closing my first one (if I don't get a decent CLI!)

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may just app for another discover down the road not sure yet though thread is a good idea. AJC, Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Update!

Clicked on check for pre-approved offers on discover site got 3 offers all 14 Months Intro free 0% zero percent APR... card has cash match

so I went ahead and clicked apply entered in my info and had to upload docs np I uploaded. Then a screen came up call today get a decision now so I did put on hold for 3 minutes came back with congrats your approved for 1k I post data points this is my 2nd IT Card.

FICO8 740 EXP,  752 FICO 8 TU 5 YRS OLDEST ACCOUNT 1% UTIL 32 ACCOUNTS TOTAL INCLUDING CLOSED ALSO HAVE PAYPAL 3.3k.

I asked rep why such a low limit she said call back in June maybe they can increase thought well ok cash match isn't so bad plus intro was nice I'll take it.

Discover IT 1st Card open 3yrs 10mo's Limit 2k Score 720-740 FICO 8 TU at time of app current CL 6.6k as of now.

Income 28k Assests 5k on app

Message 9 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats CapCredit72Smiley Happy if you can please add info on your 1st It like when opened, current limit , etc so that when people check here they can see the difference between the 2 cards. Thanks great job again buddySmiley Happy
Message 10 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.