Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI -- DENIED

tag
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

Discover CLI -- DENIED

Well, after spending over 4 years of getting my credit house in order, this is a first for me. I was DENIED a CLI from Discover due to LOW USAGE.  I called customer service and she said that when the statements pulled, it shows a zero balance. She said she could see that I used the credit card (bought a KitchenAid over the range microwave and a KitchenAid double range), but I paid them off before the statement was cut.  In order to get an Credit Line Increase, I've got to carry a balance.

I'm in the process of refinancing my mortgage and I have to keep my credit statements low right now and until November (that's when I'm scheduled to close on the refi).

So for me, this is a first -- to be denied (with good payment history) solely for low credit usage. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover CLI -- DENIED

I can attest you DO NOT need to post a balance on the statement, I have AZEOed this card for 5 years and have received CLIs on the card without a problem at all, there is something else in your profile that they are not liking or you may really not be using the card enough. I have spend several hundred a month on it in the 5% cats only for these years as well and have SD for a quarter when the cats are not inline with my spending.

Message 2 of 8
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Cjaysmom wrote:

I called customer service and she said that when the statements pulled, it shows a zero balance. She said she could see that I used the credit card (bought a KitchenAid over the range microwave and a KitchenAid double range), but I paid them off before the statement was cut.  In order to get an Credit Line Increase, I've got to carry a balance

hmmmmmmm, bowl of Disco soup?

(sorry for ur denial)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Sorry for your CLI denialSmiley Sad, but I can say welcome to that clubSmiley Tongue

Message 4 of 8
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

As gdale6 mentioned you shouldn't need to post a balance.  I also pay my balance before the statement cuts, so it reports $0 balance.  I received some CLI's.  However, my last denial I received the same message regarding low usage.  For a month and half after, I used my Discover Card as my daily driver, and then received my CLI at my next request.  

Message 5 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discos being stingy right now on the CLIs.. yes there are exceptions... Im thinking they just thew you a loose excuse, not necessirily the right or accurate one.... And take the CSR's explanation with a grain of salt.... Stick with the AZEO/Paying it off before statement, and hit her up after the refi is completed.....

Discovers kinda notorious of just throwing up a no soup for you at times when they just dont want to give you a CLI .....

"Not enough experience with current CL " 

You do NOT need to post a balance to get a CLI increase with Miss Disco.... Do think they might like some use,  but folks have gotten CLIs on SD'ed cards... and for a majority of the time, Discover is a PIF card for me... (not right now with a BT in tow) 

-J

Message 6 of 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

As others said that is total malarkey, you don't need to have  a balance. That is the NUMBER one reason disco gives 98% of the time .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 8
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to wait to request for a CLI after I've refinanced. Lowering my mortgage payments are of a greater priority right now. I plan to hit them up for an increase at the beginning of the new year. My credit limit with Disco right now is $18,500.  After the refi, I plan to buy some furniture for both of the guest bedrooms. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.