Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI questions

tag
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Discover CLI questions

I just got a CLI 2 days ago, but was wondering if I can request another tomorrow. Or would Discover see that as a sign I'm desperate? (I'm not, it would just be more convenient to have another $200-500 CLI for the moment so I can get more cashback).

Why I think they might give me more is: I think that they will be updating my free monthly FICO score tonight or in the morning and I hope it's up a little. I also thought of another small part of income which I forgot to include. I had another payment clear after my CLI.

Would they give me a small CLI like $250 or just deny me if I'm not worthy of $500 more yet? On the other hand, I also have less in my Disco savings than I did 2 days ago right now (and I will add more but it won't clear before this CLI application).

I won't even try if there's any harm in trying because it's only a little inconvenient but I was wondering anyway. I thought I read on this forum that someone had gotten two CLIs in two days from them.

If I can't get a small CLI, I will have to ask them to make my pending payment amount available.

I do AZEO.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Discover CLI questions

@Swatch wrote:

I just got a CLI 2 days ago, but was wondering if I can request another tomorrow. Or would Discover see that as a sign I'm desperate? (I'm not, it would just be more convenient to have another $200-500 CLI for the moment so I can get more cashback).

Why I think they might give me more is: I think that they will be updating my free monthly FICO score tonight or in the morning and I hope it's up a little. I also thought of another small part of income which I forgot to include. I had another payment clear after my CLI.

Would they give me a small CLI like $250 or just deny me if I'm not worthy of $500 more yet? On the other hand, I also have less in my Disco savings than I did 2 days ago right now (and I will add more but it won't clear before this CLI application).

I won't even try if there's any harm in trying because it's only a little inconvenient but I was wondering anyway. I thought I read on this forum that someone had gotten two CLIs in two days from them.

If I can't get a small CLI, I will have to ask them to make my pending payment amount available.

You can double dip from discover occasionally. Usually its a SP online request then you call in and request more. If I remember correctly the second increase requires a HP.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your pre CLI limit and how much was it just raised?  There's no harm in trying for more, but in most cases it will be met with a denial.  I would still continue to ask monthly or so, as with Discover the more your harass them the better your result will be in the long run.

Message 3 of 12
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

You can double dip from discover occasionally. Usually its a SP online request then you call in and request more. If I remember correctly the second increase requires a HP.

Oh, yeah, if it's HP then I will skip it. May try online.

I do AZEO.
Message 4 of 12
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What was your pre CLI limit and how much was it just raised?  There's no harm in trying for more, but in most cases it will be met with a denial.  I would still continue to ask monthly or so, as with Discover the more your harass them the better your result will be in the long run.

Ok, that's great info. I probably should have requested a CLI months ago.

$2000 + $1000. Do you know if they might approve $200-300 more?

I do AZEO.
Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover cli attempts are sp. You can try whenever no problems beyond a denial letter. Double dipping should be done same day as an approval . Not everyone has received one. Its my unicorn lol. Just be mindful of the environment we currently are in . If one has lost their job or inc9me now isnt best time to play with cli as it could trigger a 4506 request or closer inspection of ones account.  Keep using your account and try one a month to see what falls from the treeSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Discover cli attempts are sp. You can try whenever no problems beyond a denial letter. Double dipping should be done same day as an approval . Not everyone has received one. Its my unicorn lol. Just be mindful of the environment we currently are in . If one has lost their job or inc9me now isnt best time to play with cli as it could trigger a 4506 request or closer inspection of ones account.  Keep using your account and try one a month to see what falls from the treeSmiley Happy

Do you mean applying for another CLI on the same day that you get a CLI? Thanks for the info.

I ended up not requesting another CLI because my FICO score didn't update after all.

I'm not sure if I care about getting a higher CL in the next 6 months in terms of my usage of the card. I'm wondering if a higher CL on this Disco will actually lead to problems? If Chase sees that I already have more credit extended to me, it's more bad that good for me? Because my utilization % is already low, but I think banks don't like my DTI (since they are predicting that my student loans will start having monthly payments soon).

I do AZEO.
Message 7 of 12
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

Which bureau(s) do they HP, is it the same as for new applicants? Thanks!

I do AZEO.
Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

No , cli requests are sp, usually based off TU. You wont get a hp unless they specifically say they need to do which is ultra rare. I cant recall any post where a poster got hit with a hp for requesting cli. 

When you receive a cli, you can call in same day, even minutes later and say you just got a cli but was wondering if there was any extra they might give. No hp to ask. Really cli with Discover is amongst the easiest ones to do. You wont get penalized from other lenders just because you request a credit limit increase.  

Message 9 of 12
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

No , cli requests are sp, usually based off TU. You wont get a hp unless they specifically say they need to do which is ultra rare. I cant recall any post where a poster got hit with a hp for requesting cli. 

When you receive a cli, you can call in same day, even minutes later and say you just got a cli but was wondering if there was any extra they might give. No hp to ask. Really cli with Discover is amongst the easiest ones to do. You wont get penalized from other lenders just because you request a credit limit increase.  

@Swatch wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

I have to just sit back in awe at the master of Disco CLI's that is @AverageJoesCredit! 😂

I myself have not mastered this art...🙈😉😂

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.