Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI

tag
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Discover CLI

Hey guys, it seems like I've been on the 3 month train with discover. Starting at 1K then three months later moving to 2K and then 4.5K and now finally 7K but today marks the three months and it is being declined for not enough time with current credit limit. I'm assuming my train has stopped. I will try every month on this day until I get another one again.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover CLI

My train ended in June after 4 increases in about 5 months. Now they won’t budge. Was really hoping to make it to 20k by the end of this year.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Np1791 wrote:

Hey guys, it seems like I've been on the 3 month train with discover. Starting at 1K then three months later moving to 2K and then 4.5K and now finally 7K but today marks the three months and it is being declined for not enough time with current credit limit. I'm assuming my train has stopped. I will try every month on this day until I get another one again.

@Anonymous  Thanks for the info. 1k to 7k in less than a year is great ride IMHO!  I just joined the Discover family earlier this month.  I can't wait to hop on that train.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! New to the forums and discover! Just wondering if anyone can give tips/ advice for discover? Like usage/payments, cli, etc?

Thanks!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello! New to the forums and discover! Just wondering if anyone can give tips/ advice for discover? Like usage/payments, cli, etc?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Discover is a weird beast because different cards are in different tiers (rebuilders, super prime, etc) so there's little rhyme or reason.

Some folks give Discover a TON of usage (I do) and get no CLIs.  Others give it $5 a month and get huge CLIs.

Just use the card to maximize the first year cashback match and pay responsibly and if they CLI you, they do.  Different people are on different CLI calendars -- some every month, some every 2 months, some every 3 months, some never.

Discover CLI requests are SP and if they need to do an HP they will warn you and let you cancel the CLI request before HP.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started out last March with a $2,500 SL and have had four CLI's so far, two of them on the same day: an auto-CLI of $500 followed by a "luv button" $300 CLI in June, another "luv button" $300 CLI in September, and a $900 auto-CLI last month (I pushed the button for a $300 CLI that same day but for some reason it vanished), bringing me to $4,500 on my Discover IT. So far I've been on the 90-day train, so I think my next opportunity for a CLI would be in March. I'm pretty sure I'm in the "rebuilder" category so I'm not sure if I can get this card to the same level as my two highest ($7K Penfed Power Cash Rewards and $10K Cap 1 QS Rewards Visa Signature), but I'll try anyway. From what I understand, you can only get new Discover cards once every 12 months so I think I should probably start looking for prequalified offers again in March (I'm getting "marketing" offers right now).

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feed back guys! I didn't think I could get approved but gave it a shot after reading about the "solid apr's". I was asked to verify name and DOB then immediately approved for $2200! Imagine my surprise! How would one know which "catergory" they fall in?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:
My train ended in June after 4 increases in about 5 months. Now they won’t budge. Was really hoping to make it to 20k by the end of this year.

I'm curious when your 4 increases in 5 months came relative to your account opening date.  That sounds very similar to my situation.  I opened my account in June (2016) and received CLIs in 4 out of 5 months from Sept-Jan.  Then, I received NOTHING for 9 months.  In October 2017, I received a CLI and then again 2 months later in December.  I'm going to try again next month in February, as it seems I may be on a 60 day cycle now.

If you opened your account near December of 2016 +/- a couple of months your data looks to be mirroring mine.  That being said, it would seem that around March/April you'd potentially start seeing CLIs again.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:

I'm curious when your 4 increases in 5 months came relative to your account opening date.  That sounds very similar to my situation.  I opened my account in June (2016) and received CLIs in 4 out of 5 months from Sept-Jan.  Then, I received NOTHING for 9 months.  In October 2017, I received a CLI and then again 2 months later in December.  I'm going to try again next month in February, as it seems I may be on a 60 day cycle now.

If you opened your account near December of 2016 +/- a couple of months your data looks to be mirroring mine.  That being said, it would seem that around March/April you'd potentially start seeing CLIs again.

Message 9 of 19
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Opened It in June 2017, luv button in Sept for $500, and just decided to try again via luv button and got another $1,500. 

I'll take it. Marking my calendar for 91 days from now...Robot Very Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.