Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Post-Approval Closing?

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Discover Post-Approval Closing?

Has anyone ever opened an account with Discover and had them close it post-approval? I had a Discover card about 7-8 years ago that I fell behind on ($2k balance) that was charged off. Said chargeoff was recently removed from my credit report, but I've heard Discover has a fairly looooong memory.

I've tried multiple times for the preapproval and was approved everytime recently. My concern is if they approve and end up closing post-approval? Anyone had any similar experience?

Or they may not even get through the approval once they review their internal BL?

Would like to hear others similar experience.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Post-Approval Closing?

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Has anyone ever opened an account with Discover and had them close it post-approval? I had a Discover card about 7-8 years ago that I fell behind on ($2k balance) that was charged off. Said chargeoff was recently removed from my credit report, but I've heard Discover has a fairly looooong memory.

I've tried multiple times for the preapproval and was approved everytime recently. My concern is if they approve and end up closing post-approval? Anyone had any similar experience?

Or they may not even get through the approval once they review their internal BL?

they ask for a 4506-C like https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-Approval/m-p/6632010 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-Approval/m-p/6622206 

it's farily common to be allowed back in after w/Discover after 7 years/when it drops off of the reports

I don't think the pre-approval page is being disingenous, I do think you're more likely to be approved than not, even if you need to file a 4506-C along with it 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

1/6, 5/12, 12/24

Message 2 of 3
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Post-Approval Closing?

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

The pre-approval is a good sign. You wouldn't make it to the pre-approval if you were still on the BL.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.