Did you mean: 

Discover Preapproval?

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover Preapproval?

@northway wrote:

I know I'm digging this back up, but just as a DP, I currently owe Discover $9K that was charged off in 2018. Managed to get it dropped from my reports and the Discover app still shows an account that has a "Special Condition. Please call us for more info".

My credit score is in the mid 700s now, so I decided to try the pre-qual for fun. Every time I tried up until the day the account dropped off of my credit reports, I received a "Status of Existing/Prior Account" denial. This time I was pre-qualified so I decided to go for it.

Application went pending, Discover asked for a 4506-C. Took about 2 weeks, and after a final validation call with the Fraud department, I was approved for a new Discover It with a $7k limit. The account shows up immediately below the one that says "Special Condition.", which is kind of hilarious, but I will attempt to settle at some point since they let me back in.

My inquiries and newly opened accounts are through the roof on top of things, so I'm not sure if I'm just a weird outlier DP.

Congrats on your accomplishment getting back in with Disco. Way to go!

Message 11 of 14
ahleahsis
Established Member

I have a paid charge off from Disco too from 2017 and it's scheduled to fall off my reports in 2024. I just decided to check their pre-approval and no dice. I'd say if it's showing pre-approved then it's probably solid but they'll most likely ask for a 4506-C.

Message 12 of 14
northway
Regular Contributor

Personally, I believe that the "Status of Existing/Prior Account" message is only generated as long as the account still shows on your credit report. Literally the day I got the CO dropped from the report, I got a pre-approval instead of the Status decline.

It seems their approval system doesn't check for actual internal CO status, and only if there is anything reporting on your credit file since I haven't settled or fully paid Discover, but I was enrolled in a payment program that I had to drop off of after paying half the balance.

There may be other DPs otherwise, but that's how it was in my case at least.

Personal Cards:
Message 13 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@northway wrote:

Personally, I believe that the "Status of Existing/Prior Account" message is only generated as long as the account still shows on your credit report. Literally the day I got the CO dropped from the report, I got a pre-approval instead of the Status decline.

It seems their approval system doesn't check for actual internal CO status, and only if there is anything reporting on your credit file since I haven't settled or fully paid Discover, but I was enrolled in a payment program that I had to drop off of after paying half the balance.

There may be other DPs otherwise, but that's how it was in my case at least.

Guess I'll find that out here shortly in a couple of years when my Disco CO (paid) drops off in 2025. Smiley LOL

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.