Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Recon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Recon?

So during the waiting period on one of my apps, there was talk about the x2 points from Discover being gone for 2016. I firgured that this might be my last chance to get in so I applied for the Miles. This seemed to be an instant denial. I just recieved a letter today and the reasoning for the denial were:

• Bureau reports history of increasing balances on total debt.
  • Bureau reports low credit lines on revolving accounts.

It's the holiday season so yeah they're a little higher than usual (nothing outrageous). I've paid all of them down but this hasn't been reported yet and won't be until another few days I think. My Sam's card still has about 9%uti; my sister passed not too long ago, so I had some expenses come up. Everything else is between 0-4%

Most of my cards are between 4-6k. I had some CLIs which also haven't reported yet. I think my average (not up-to-date) CL was 3.5k. Currently it's 5.3k

The last time I applied for this was back in April. They said they wanted to see more credit history. My account with Discover will be 2y/o this April and I have 0 lates, 0 negs w/ all accounts.

Should I try for recon or let it go? 

For those interested, they pulled Experian and Equifax.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Recon?

Certainly can't hurt to try to recon, though I'm not sure how big Discover is on recon.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
willwar14
Valued Contributor

I've heard Discover gets SUPER sensitive when you try for another account with them if you already have one..
CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 3 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Certainly can't hurt to try to recon, though I'm not sure how big Discover is on recon.

IMO recon with Discover is useless, if the computer says No the rep can't do anything about it. I app'd for IT Oct 2014, instant denial. In a few minutes I got an email with the denial letter PDF, only reason cited was BK. I was almost 4 years post BK7 discharge with a pretty solid rebuild - $10k w/2 Synch store cards, $10k Cap One Quicksilver, over $10k w/2 Barclays cards,  etc. So I called the toll free # listed on the letter, Rep just basically said 'Sorry'. But IMO if they think you're close to meeting their requirements they monitor your CR w/SPs - in June I started recieving weekly mailer invites. I app'd on the 3rd invite, approved for $4k SL

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

IMO recon with Discover is useless, if the computer says No the rep can't do anything about it. I app'd for IT Oct 2014, instant denial. In a few minutes I got an email with the denial letter PDF, only reason cited was BK. I was almost 4 years post BK7 discharge with a pretty solid rebuild - $10k w/2 Synch store cards, $10k Cap One Quicksilver, over $10k w/2 Barclays cards,  etc. So I called the toll free # listed on the letter, Rep just basically said 'Sorry'. But IMO if they think you're close to meeting their requirements they monitor your CR w/SPs - in June I started recieving weekly mailer invites. I app'd on the 3rd invite, approved for $4k SL

@this above by @DaveInAZ.  I wouldn't encourage a recon-

Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@this above by @DaveInAZ.  I wouldn't encourage a recon-

Agree.  Any computer-decisioned denial would have no chance to be reconsidered OP, sorry.  I would say your chances would fare better once things improve on the utilization front allowing your overall profile to be more optimal.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I was feeling the same but I guess I needed to hear it from someone else.

I will take a break and work on my util before thinking about this card again Smiley Happy.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No hope. Two weeks ago, I applied the 2nd Discover IT card and was rejected. Called several times for reconsideration but unsuccessfully. On the last call, an agent wanted to pull another inquire, then I walked away. I think I'll never apply again for the 2nd Discover card. They don't want I have it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.