Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Deposit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Deposit

Hello,

I would like to open a secured Discover card with a $500 deposit. I don’t have a checking account right now and I can’t get one for a couple more months. What are some ways I can pay the deposit since it’s asking for ACH info. I have a American Express Serve card which has the routing number and account number for direct deposit...can I use that?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Deposit

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello,

I would like to open a secured Discover card with a $500 deposit. I don’t have a checking account right now and I can’t get one for a couple more months. What are some ways I can pay the deposit since it’s asking for ACH info. I have a American Express Serve card which has the routing number and account number for direct deposit...can I use that?

I would call Discover. Obviously they want you to have a bank account in order to be able to make payments on your Discover account. Every credit card application I have made asks if I have a checking or savings account. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If your waiting on a ChexSystem issue. Google non chex system banks. There's plenty of them. East coast Suntrust, WF, and BBVA.

Message 3 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Try SoFi.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unify Credit Union has a good checking account for people who need a "second chance." They also post direct deposits a day earlier than most banks. I think the checking account is fee free. I signed up and nline since I didn't have a branch near me, but it is part of the CU Co-op system so you can go to any local co-op branch.
Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello,

To address your question about using the Serve for a ACH transfer, the routing and account numbers provided by Serve are only for direct deposits.  If you attempt to pull funds using those numbers the transaction will be rejected.

Note this text on the Serve dashboard where the ACH info is located:  This information can only be used for adding money into your Account with Direct Deposit. It cannot be used to pay bills on external sites.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you won’t be able to open one you can always ask someone to use theirs.
I used mine to fund my girlfriend’s Discover card. You will need to confirm small deposits that’s all.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the time being, call them and see if they'll accept a Money Order to be sent to their physical address for the deposit. After all what did they do before the internet? 

By then your issue concerning opening a checking account should be resolved, and can have it linked to your Discover account. 

People might be surprised at the wealth of onfo the actual Bank can provide about their policies.

Message 8 of 9
gjean78
Regular Contributor

what prevents you from getting a bank account?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.