Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover denial

I applied for discover and was declined when I received the 7-10 day letter they stated thier reason as “Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high”. Not sure what this means as my utilization is currently under 9% and my car loan is 2 years from being paid off. They said my score was 701 from EQ.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover denial

You might call them (speak with a credit analyst directly) and just ask them exactly what it is that they would like to see which would improve your chances.

It's kind of another way of making a reconsideration just in case they decide to look again or push it through.

Sometimes they overturn denials into an approval but the start limits are much lower.

It depends also whether you want to chance another HP i think. I never tried so can't say with certainty on that.

Maybe some members who have had experience with the turndown will weigh in for you to give you a better idea on this.

Message 2 of 7
chaos51
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for discover and was declined when I received the 7-10 day letter they stated thier reason as “Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high”. Not sure what this means as my utilization is currently under 9% and my car loan is 2 years from being paid off. They said my score was 701 from EQ.

@OP did you attempt to get a pre-approval before applying?

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any other installment loans other than your car? Maybe a student loan?

Message 4 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Reaching here alittle bit ..... Are you an AU  on someone elses account?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry this was a pre-approval that was denied. I thought nothing of it until I received the letter. I checked my report, I have only my credit cards the uti is 8.6% on 1 card "care credit" and my car loan. No other loans. I had a personal loan for 3000 but it's showing paid/closed.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called and according to the disco lady, that statement is because my car loan has only 28 months remaining but is only 34% of principle paid. Mystery solved.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.