Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover or Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover or Amex?

I checked the Discover pre-qualify site and it says I’m pre-approved for either the Discover it or Discover it Chrome. I can’t get any pre approvals on Amex. Should I app for the Discover or just wait for the Amex pre approvals to show up?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover or Amex?

I'd go for the Discover now, then check back on the Amex pre-approval site in three months. It took me 10 months into my rebuild before I got a pre-approval for Amex showing on their site. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

App for what you want the most. If your scores and profile are where they need to be you dont need a prequal. I know many here depend on having one but when I see people prequsled and they still get denied just shows me that they are essential.

In this case Disco is a good springboard for Amex if your profile is thin. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the saying goes....

A bird in the hand beats two in the bush.

Message 4 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

Amex, you EX is your best score and they like thin files.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

But is my EX score high enough?
Message 6 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
But is my EX score high enough?

Yes for any charge card, ED, Delta and Hilton.  What card are you looking at?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton. Have a couple stays coming up with them and would love to have the card to use for that.

I had applied for a green charge card last month and was denied because of accounts too new and inquiries. Would it be better to apply on the phone as opposed to online?
Message 8 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hilton. Have a couple stays coming up with them and would love to have the card to use for that.

I had applied for a green charge card last month and was denied because of accounts too new and inquiries. Would it be better to apply on the phone as opposed to online?

What was your EX score last month?  If it increased then take a shot.

You may be approved w/ 1K CL for Hilton card.  If you have some stays you might want to take a chance now because the increased SUB offer will be ending on 6/27.  Apply online.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX has only gone up 4 points since last month
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.