Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover unOfficial Data Points

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover unOfficial Data Points

Thanks Vegas for the input and it looks like your balances support my theory as your balance came down the CLI's went up.  I don't know what the deal is with the cash side though, most lenders set it at 25% of your limit or there abouts.  Amex does the same thing with the low cash side.

Disc Cash - $2500/$35600

AMEX - $2200/$50000

I think I noticed in another thread recently people with the higher cash side were using the BT to checking option and that increased the cash side for Discover at least.

Message 11 of 1,821
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

ETA

Someone had a question in another thread regarding when to use the number and I did a little more research and found it's only when you want to bump your instant SP request and not the traditional 2-day message requests.  Also, this is their "Lending" group for CLI's if you need to increase the amount over what's offered these are the people that can help do that and it may require a HP to do so depending on their initial review of the SP approval amount.

800-347-4856

Assuming these are EST:

MON-FRI 7AM-12AM
SAT-SUN 8AM-12AM

The rep I talked with today 12/2 was in their SLC UT call center.  The call was answered very quickly and just asked to verify DOB and said the CLI was approved, gave the new limit, and said that a supervisor needed to hit the final approval due to the normal reps limited to the CL that they can approve on their own.  Typical supervisor approvals after submitted take about a half hour for them to process and show up online. 

Message 12 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is some great info!  I was completely unaware that discover even offered an HP cli option by request (with the contingency that its right after a SP cli).

So one could say discover doesn't have a set timer for HP CLI's either, making them even more flexible.

I originally thought that HPs for increase requests were generally for folks who were above 40-50k in in CLs (not that its imposible to reach those without HPs as demonstrated by themanwhocan).

Curious to see if anyone has any data points on how much the increases usually are when doing a "Ask for more" akin to Citi hp CLI, if they ask you for a specific amount you are requesting and if so if they counter? I am betting they do not ask for input and its all up to them?

Is there any way possible for folks who did not initiate a SP CLI who could just call in and go straight for the HP CLI?

Lastly I think this thread would be a great addition to the bootcamp thread that was going or still may be.

Message 13 of 1,821
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

They seem to be open to going for a HP right off the bat if you call and ask for one. it might take them some time to process through it and get back to you with an answer.  It didn't seem that it would have been an immediate response when I was talking to them but, then again I'm chasing the TheManWhoCan down the rabbit hole to 50K+.  It's certainly something we should probably get some data points on if there's a Guinea Pig to go for the gold with it.  

As for the Discover bootcamp BBS was running on I've been working with him on gathering data and comparing notes as we go along on this journey.  I just decided to compile it into a more composed form like  a "sticky" you see in each sub forum. I think the biggest thing is probing the # above and finding additional info that hasn't really been posted before or called with the intent of gathering info from them.

Message 14 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

They seem to be open to going for a HP right off the bat if you call and ask for one. it might take them some time to process through it and get back to you with an answer.  It didn't seem that it would have been an immediate response when I was talking to them but, then again I'm chasing the TheManWhoCan down the rabbit hole to 50K+.  It's certainly something we should probably get some data points on if there's a Guinea Pig to go for the gold with it.  

As for the Discover bootcamp BBS was running on I've been working with him on gathering data and comparing notes as we go along on this journey.  I just decided to compile it into a more composed form like  a "sticky" you see in each sub forum. I think the biggest thing is probing the # above and finding additional info that hasn't really been posted before or called with the intent of gathering info from them.

Cool.  Well I won't have any issue here in a week or two calling up and reporting my results for a HP cli request. Unless of course my first 90 day CLI doesn't warrant the call.  They started me off at 15k, I'm using it responsibly, and also taking a little spending away from my DC, even though I was hesitant to do it because I like to deposit my cash back into high yield checking.  I figured, they treated me right, it was only fair I do the same lol.  Now I will just have to decide on caling straight up, or doing the SP CLI.  

I wonder if you call an ask for an increase if they first process a SP one then proceed to HP if you wish. I have a lot of HPs dropping off next year. But I definitely do not want to go crazy with them.  I wouldn't use the increase to pyramid debt. It just makes me think if they approved me at 15k, pulling off my Equifax with the lowest inqs, they'd possibly have something decent ad hopefully they would HP the same bureau.  I was originally planning on just wating a year since 15k is almost spot on for my level of spending, and that was the previous concensus that usually you would see a significant upward swing in each increase past the 1 yr mark..but not anymore

Message 15 of 1,821
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Since I did the online like I normally do and got the 2-day standard I'm not sure but, I think they'll SP first and if it's not enough you can ask for more with a HP.  The SP's come off of TU like the one they provide you each month when logged into the site.  It's a mystery I'm sure we'll crack pretty easily in the next few weeks or a month.  It's just some additional insight we haven't seen posted around here about them lately.  I had to google with the phone number to find some decent info to confirm some of what I found lingering in the dark corners of the web.  Gathering some recent real world information though for everyone is helpful and my intent with this thread.

Message 16 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jfriend33,

How many days has your Discover account been open?  Is it nearing 90 days?  There's a very strong chance that they'll throw you an auto-CLI any day now if that's the case.  Based on your $15k SL, that auto increase could be $4k-$6k or so.  As soon as you see that increase, hit the button online requesting another and you'll get another $4k-$6k (or very close to whatever your auto increase was.  That'll take you from a $15k limit to probably $25k or so.  Then 30 days later you can hit the button again and probably come away with another $4k.  My point is that there's a fairly decent chance that you'll possess a $25k-$30k limit with Discover in the next 2 months give or take... so it may not be worth taking a HP at this point when you can get some very good SP results in the very near future.

Message 17 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had read this before..

My 90 days is coming up and I have been pumping money through this card like crazy.  I pay it off 2-3x's a week and never leave more the 10% when the statement cuts.  After reading this I would have been more conservative though in my spending for the sake of a higher CLI.  We shall see what happens soon though I guess.  Thanks OP for putting this together as well.

Message 18 of 1,821
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice thread AG907. Interesting to say the least. Coming up on 2 months in 5 days. Hopefully i can add something if i decide to hit the luv button at this moment or more than likely just wait the standard 3 months to see if there is a auto first. . Been reading up on all i missed lately, your doing s great service to all us Disco holders, old and new alikeSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 1,821
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

You'll get an auto denial if you hit the button in the first 90 days unless they give you an auto.  The upside is they don't pull and AMEX and make you wait 90 days after a denial.  Just wait it out for the auto or 90 days whichever comes first.

Message 20 of 1,821
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.