cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a mix of high and low limits hurt profile?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does a mix of high and low limits hurt profile?

In six months my BoA Cash Rewards card has gone from $1500 to $13700 CL while my Discovery IT has gone from $500 to.....$1500, yay.

Does having a low-limit card in the mix actually hurt my credit profile? If another bank could only "see" the BofA, I might actually be better off such that the Discovery should be closed? Credit score is around 720.

Also, is it meaningless to do AZEO with zero balance on the two credit cards and keep the balance on a third if the latter is a charge card? I am not sure whether all three would have to be revolvers.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does a mix of high and low limits hurt profile?

I think I can only answer your first question and I don't think it matters "how big of a credit line you have for each card". I wouldn't close the card just because of the credit line when you already have a CC with a high credit line.

Message 2 of 16
xaximus
Valued Contributor

From my understanding, having a high limit and a low limit does not have an affect on your score. What matters is your total limit and the utilization. Just keep in mind that a low limit card will hit the utilization much quicker then a high limit. As long as you keep utilization under 8.9% (8% is safer), you should be okay. Also with Discover, put some charges through it for 3-6 months, you should be able to get a CLI and have it bumped up to a more satisfactory limit.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Dont close cards. Unless its a loan shark card. Disco will go up in time. They'll see how your BoA card is growing and get jealous and CLI's by you or them will come in. Wouldnt worry about banks and FICO doesnt care about your CL's. It how you take care of your cards.

Message 4 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No
Message 5 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Also, is it meaningless to do AZEO with zero balance on the two credit cards and keep the balance on a third if the latter is a charge card? I am not sure whether all three would have to be revolvers.

If your aim is AZEO, the balance should be on one of the revolvers, and the charge card should report zero. Most FICO models ignore charge cards in the calculation of utilization. At least one model (a mortgage score) will compute utilization by using the highest balance on the card as your "limit."

Message 6 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Dont close cards. Unless its a loan shark card. Disco will go up in time. They'll see how your BoA card is growing and get jealous and CLI's by you or them will come in. Wouldnt worry about banks and FICO doesnt care about your CL's. It how you take care of your cards.

Do you count a low CL bucketed Cap1 card causing high credit utility with an annual fee as a "shark card"?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 7 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Do you count a low CL bucketed Cap1 card causing high credit utility with an annual fee as a "shark card"?

I'd say that "shark cards" come from Credit One and the like. The Capital One card is from a "good" bank. The flaw is that it's not a keeper card unless the annual fee is removed.

I can't see the annual fee causing a utilization issue unless utilization is an issue otherwise. A $39 fee on a $200 limit is still under 20%, which is safely in the "reponsible" range.

Message 8 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Nope. Credit One, Surge Card, Matrix card, Total Visa, Milestone,ect.

Message 9 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Nope. Credit One, Surge Card, Matrix card, Total Visa, Milestone,ect.

So you are talking about sub-prime predatory lender cards...

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.