Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ducks Unlimited Denied!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Ducks Unlimited Denied!

What a frustrating experience with First National Bank of Omaha! Last month, I applied for the Ducks Unlimited card. Being a member of Ducks Unlimited, an avid conservationist, and doing a lot of driving, I was naturally drawn to the card's promise of 5% cash back on gas purchases.

My application went pending and for almost two weeks I heard nothing. Checking their website for the status of my application revealed that it was "pending". Finally today I called and asked a CSR to check on the status. She admitted no one had yet even looked at my application and promised to send it for review today.

An hour later, I received an Email saying they'd made a decision. I logged in and discovered that my application had been denied.

Frankly, I'm surprised. For reference, at the time of application my FICO scores were all in the low 700s. FNBO pulled Experian, which was showing 5 inquiries in the past 12 months. Utilization is less than 30% on average and my income is relatively high (~$400K). I don't get it?!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ducks Unlimited Denied!

FNBO also pulls CR data from alternate reporting sources. The letter should provide more information on what reasons they cited for declining the application.

Unfortunately, the reconsideration option is not as successful with FNBO since they tend to stick to the original decision unless there are significant errors with the CR data.
Message 2 of 11
SBR249
Established Contributor

I not may be recalling this correctly but isn't FNBO also considered a somewhat inq-sensitive lender? 5 inqs may be more than they are willing to accept. Did all those inqs lead to new accounts? 

Message 3 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

You will have to wait for the letter but I believe you answered your own question

1) Low 700 scores does not put you into the insta approval pool of appicants.  At your level, youre almost there but not yet.

2) 5 Inqs in less then 1 year just on one report is high

3) 30% Utiliation is also high

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, sorry for the denial. All of the points above make sense as possible reasons for the denial. You also mentioned your credit utilization is "is less than 30% on average." If you are saying on Average, was it below 30% at the time of the app?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 11
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

I just replied in the other thread, but sorry to hear about the denial, they should’ve been able to tell you why they denied it, but my guess would be due to the INQ’s. I will contest what others have said about the score & high utilization as neither of those should be a factor as my score is lower and my util is the same. I was denied based on too many INQ’s NOT low score or higher utilization. I would find out why they denied you DONT wait any longer, you have 30 days since app was submitted to get a reconsideration but keep in mind they will most likely pull credit again(I would assume to see if you applied anywhere else since this application). I posted the reconsideration number I used in the other thread. Good luck!

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 6 of 11
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

Got an e-mail just a little bit ago & I was approved, I’m not sure on the CL yet, but I would highly suggest calling the recon line. Good Luck!!

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 7 of 11
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@KDKobes wrote:
I just replied in the other thread, but sorry to hear about the denial, they should’ve been able to tell you why they denied it, but my guess would be due to the INQ’s. I will contest what others have said about the score & high utilization as neither of those should be a factor as my score is lower and my util is the same. I was denied based on too many INQ’s NOT low score or higher utilization. I would find out why they denied you DONT wait any longer, you have 30 days since app was submitted to get a reconsideration but keep in mind they will most likely pull credit again(I would assume to see if you applied anywhere else since this application). I posted the reconsideration number I used in the other thread. Good luck!

Update: @KDKobes was right; according to the letter I received from FNBO, I was denied the DU card due to "too many inquiries". My scores and utilization apparently weren't factors in the denial.

If FNBO is that particular, I guess I don't need the card after all. My new Discover IT card will pay 10% cash back on gas in the 3rd qurater of 2019 anyway! (Discover pays 5% cash back on gas in the 3rd quarter, and matches all cash back at the end of the first year).

FICO 8 EX: 706, EQ: 716, TU: 720

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also pull either ARS or sagestream. They sometimes will have inquiries that are not on EX. Some people actually have less inquiries, for whatever reason.

Sagestream also uses Innovis info to help furnish their report, so if you order a copy and something doesn’t look right, order your Innovis report as well.
Message 9 of 11
Krowdy
Established Member

30% UTI while making $400k I would think sends up a red flag. How much is the 30% worth?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.