Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC do not apply

tag
ando35
Frequent Contributor

HSBC do not apply

I have a 780 score and was denied. I think because I got one of the credit verfication questions wrong. 

LIke I am going to remeber whther I applied for my citi card in April 2015 or  August 2016.

Now I have a hard pull on my record and I was denied. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: HSBC do not apply

On my Citi card it shows that I have been a member since 2011, so I'm thinking if you would have just looked at your card you would have had your answer.  You can always call them and recon.  

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're a bit over the top and snooty about it too.  All the effort for a 5-10K CL isn't worth the time.  And if you make over 80K they want POI which is a whole different issue to deal with.  

From app to approval and card in hand it's usually a month or longer.

Message 3 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

On my Citi card it shows that I have been a member since 2011, so I'm thinking if you would have just looked at your card you would have had your answer.  You can always call them and recon.  

I agree with this. You can always attempt recon. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

I agree with this. You can always attempt recon. Good luck!

CK shows the exact date account was opened, I was keep CK open in my browser when applying for anything. HSBC is not the only one that does this, although I am not a fan of them personally.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LakeLife wrote:

Unfortunately, if ID or verification questions are not vetted or authenticated properly, HSBC is not prone to reconsideration.

Message 6 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They're a bit over the top and snooty about it too.  All the effort for a 5-10K CL isn't worth the time.  And if you make over 80K they want POI which is a whole different issue to deal with.  

Eh, I think experiences will vary.  I didn't find them snooty or over the top IME (definitely not like Discover, but they were pleasant and professional).  On the plus side, I had no issues obtaining 3 cards with them including the Premier WEMC, but then again I've been with HSBC for quite sometime though. 

There's a few quirky lenders that have some added authentication questions that can definitely catch some by suprise.  BB&T and Comenity were some, for instance.  So, I'm always ready with a thermometer on hand (just in case they want to check my temperature) aside from any other historical questions from 10-20 years back.  Huggies or Pampers comes to mind as @Remedios mentioned on another thread Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They got snooty with me saying because they're a global bank they want POI because apparently I make too much for them to vet it like other banks.  I told them to cancel the app and moved on.  Providing them with POI before an approval that tends to be lacking in benefit of a 5 digit CL just wasn't appealing enough to go the extra step beyond hounding them daily to get a status update.  I really only apped to fill a slot and collect a bonus based on who they pulled and thought maybe it would just be an instant approval but no it couldn't be that simple.

Message 8 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They got snooty with me saying because they're a global bank they want POI because apparently I make too much for them to vet it like other banks.  I told them to cancel the app and moved on.  Providing them with POI before an approval that tends to be lacking in benefit of a 5 digit CL just wasn't appealing enough to go the extra step beyond hounding them daily to get a status update.  I really only apped to fill a slot and collect a bonus based on who they pulled and thought maybe it would just be an instant approval but no it couldn't be that simple.

Hmmm, interesting DP.   There was no POI request IME, even when I applied for the Premier CC.  So, I think like any other outcome, even for high-income earners, YEMV.

Message 9 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Eh, I think experiences will vary.  I didn't find them snooty or over the top IME (definitely not like Discover, but they were pleasant and professional).  On the plus side, I had no issues obtaining 3 cards with them including the Premier WEMC, but then again I've been with HSBC for quite sometime though. 

There's a few quirky lenders that have some added authentication questions that can definitely catch some by suprise.  BB&T and Comenity were some, for instance.  So, I'm always ready with a thermometer on hand (just in case they want to check my temperature) aside from any other historical questions from 10-20 years back.  Huggies or Pampers comes to mind as @Remedios mentioned on another thread Smiley Tongue

I recently had  issue with security questions because it turns out I must have been dishonest with my answer

It asked what my favorite drink was and I kept on typing water, till it kicked me out and i had to call in and get it reset the hard way

Turned out the right answer was "beer" 

Oops 

OP, sorry this happened to you, it's always a good idea to have a copy of your CR whenever ID verification questions are used and also, to prevent this from happening in to future, you may want to order copies of your reports from data aggregators  like LN, then dispute and remove any inaccurate info. 

Here is the complete list of such agencies, you do not need to worry about all of them, just scroll down to Supplementary Reports 

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_consumer-reporting-companies-list.pdf

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.