Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card

I was approved for Blue Cash Preferred Card Dec 24, 2021 & Hilton Honors Card Jan 10, 2022. When can I apply for Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card, Sign Up Bonus "130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points + a Free Night Reward" promotion ends March 3. Your feedback are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card

@AyaMai 

American Express can only approve two (2) revolving accounts (whether personal and/or business) in a 90-day period.

Since you were approved for the first card on 12/24 and the second one on 1/10, the earliest timeframe you'd be able to apply for the Hilton Surpass would be after March 24.

Message 2 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

I was approved for Blue Cash Preferred Card Dec 24, 2021 & Hilton Honors Card Jan 10, 2022. When can I apply for Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card, Sign Up Bonus "130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points + a Free Night Reward" promotion ends March 3. Your feedback are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you check your prequalifications from time to time, at some point you will likely see a generous upgrade offer. I had that same card, was offered a generous offer to upgrade to Surpass, which I accepted. Later I was given a generous offer to upgrade from Surpass to Aspire, which I also accepted.  Eventually the value proposition for the Aspire lost its lustre, so I recently downgraded to the no annual fee Hilton Honors card. To my mind all 3 cards are excellent, with the Surpass being probably the best value of all for me.

If I recall correctly, both upgrade offers came to me via email.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 14
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

If you check your prequalifications from time to time, at some point you will likely see a generous upgrade offer. I had that same card, was offered a generous offer to upgrade to Surpass, which I accepted. Later I was given a generous offer to upgrade from Surpass to Aspire, which I also accepted.  Eventually the value proposition for the Aspire lost its lustre, so I recently downgraded to the no annual fee Hilton Honors card. To my mind all 3 cards are excellent, with the Surpass being probably the best value of all for me.

If I recall correctly, both upgrade offers came to me via email.

SJ: The Hilton card in your signature states it's a business card and that has a $95 AF. Is there a bus. version with no AF--or do you have a plain HH personal card also? EDIT: Disregard previous question--I just spotted the regular HH in your signature.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 4 of 14
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Question

My credit score dropped 49 points two days ago due to a new collection report of an old Capital One debt of ten years ago by a collection agency. I was thinking about applying after 24 March after I pass 90 days of applying for the 1st of the two approved credit cards. My score was 736, my question is it worth to apply or just ignore the great offer since I was approved for BCF, Hilton Honors, Amex Gold, Green, Platinum in the last 3 months. Done with Hilton SUB" Have 144K points, Gold and Green SUB in 2 weeks, Platinum and BCF, no balances on any. I don't leave any balances on any of the 21 accounts I have. It's either 0% or 1% utilization. I would appreciate your advice on that, do I apply or skip the offer altogether. The offer ends on the 31st of this month. I don't know how American Express will react regarding the huge drop on my score.

Message 5 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Question

Debts can't be reported past 7 years. If it's a 10 year old debt you can dispute it with the bureaus. 

Message 6 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

My credit score dropped 49 points two days ago due to a new collection report of an old Capital One debt of ten years ago by a collection agency. I was thinking about applying after 24 March after I pass 90 days of applying for the 1st of the two approved credit cards. My score was 736, my question is it worth to apply or just ignore the great offer since I was approved for BCF, Hilton Honors, Amex Gold, Green, Platinum in the last 3 months. Done with Hilton SUB" Have 144K points, Gold and Green SUB in 2 weeks, Platinum and BCF, no balances on any. I don't leave any balances on any of the 21 accounts I have. It's either 0% or 1% utilization. I would appreciate your advice on that, do I apply or skip the offer altogether. The offer ends on the 31st of this month. I don't know how American Express will react regarding the huge drop on my score.

I don't think you should apply for anything until your scores start climbing back. You have more than enough cards now, and you've even got Hilton covered.

And I agree with @Brian_Earl_Spilner about disputing the negative.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 14
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Most  definitely do not apply. AmEx doesn't like collections at all so you don't want to draw any attention to that or the huge score drop. They will see it all soon enough when the do their next credit monitoring pull on you anyway.

Like the others said too a 10 year old debt can't be reported UNLESS you somehow re-started the clock on it. If you didn't definitely dispute and get that off ASAP.

Message 8 of 14
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Debts can't be reported past 7 years. If it's a 10 year old debt you can dispute it with the bureaus. 

Thank you for the advice.

Message 9 of 14
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

I had this feeling not to apply and go with my intuition, needed the assurance, feel far relieved.  One way the other I will remove the collection from my report.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.