cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Tradelines Can I Apply For, Without Looking "Desperate", in a Short Time Frame?

tag
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

How Many Tradelines Can I Apply For, Without Looking "Desperate", in a Short Time Frame?

Currently working on rebuilding my credit. I am in the process of disputing several items and hard inquiries on my report.

Just paid off a $27,000 car loan which, I believe, should post as a tradeline.

I am planning on applying for several "NO CREDIT CHECK" tradelines (meaning everyone is approved) soon and want to know how many I can apply for, in say a month's time frame, without looking like a flight risk.
The tradelines I am applying for are kind of like a pay-for-entry kind of credit application. If you're not familiar, you pay for a membership (a small annual fee like $50), purchase a $100+ item, and pay it off in a few months. By doing this, they will post your payments, as well as the credit limit to your report. These credit limits, most times, can only be used on those websites, but my main goal is for these limits to show on my report and boost my scores.

The tradelines I intend to apply for are:
  1. My Jewelers Club ($5,000 limit)
  2. Hutton Chase ($1,500 limit)
  3. New Coast Direct ($5,000 limit)
  4. Ox Publishing ($2,500 limit)
  5. DSX Design ($5,000 - $12,000 limit) Brand new tradeline; still doing research
I asked my brother for advice and he said I should only apply for two of these tradelines (My Jewelers Club and New Coast Direct, specifically), get a secured credit line from a reputable bank like Chase, Bank of America, etc. and apply for 2 authorized users rather than, solely, applying for all of the tradelines on my list because the examples he gave will hold more weight on my report and the majority of the tradelines I have listed are new so they don't hold much weight.

MY REASONING FOR DOING THIS: is because I am starting a business and am planning on applying for business credit (hoping for a high limit). It is my understanding that the better your personal score, and the higher your credit limit, the less likely you are expected to have a personal guarantee to secure that funding.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, I thought the higher your credit limit, the better. I don't have any credit on my account, as of today, and figure letting a $27,000 car loan and, up to, $26,000 in credit would look great on my report. I need help. Please advise!
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: How Many Tradelines Can I Apply For, Without Looking "Desperate", in a Short Time Fram

I think we are all familiar with "these" type of tradeline and honestly I don't believe that's even remotely the way to go.

You mention a car loan, so you have no other revolving lines? Do you know your FICO scores ( not CK etc).

There are much better avenues to go then those type of lines.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 40
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

Re: How Many Tradelines Can I Apply For, Without Looking "Desperate", in a Short Time Fram

Rebuilding. I have a $1,200 credit limit that was charged off, which I am disputing now. Other than that, I do not have any revolving accounts, as of now other than the car loan, which should post when my scores update next month. 

My scores are TU - 531, EX - 522, EQ - 524.

Message 3 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, can you clarify "Just paid off a $27,000 car loan which, I believe, should post as a tradeline."

Was this vehicle financed and was the loan on your report? For how long ?

Message 4 of 40
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

The vehicle was financed in August of 2017. I had a total loss in January of this year where my car & gap insurance paid the car off.

The loan was on my report and the account, officially, closed last week.

Message 5 of 40
thornback
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forums!

Your brother is right -- but I'd go a step further and say not to apply to any of those tradelines you've listed.   Stick to bank-issued cards.  Start off with secured if necessary, wait 6 months to build a solid, positive payment history, then apply for an unsecured card.    You need bank-issued credit cards on your reports; I'm not sure how the tradelines you've mentioned code - whether as store cards or consumer finance accounts - but neither reflect as well on both your scores and to lenders as bank-issue cards.    You can save the money you'd spend on all the fees involved with those types of accounts and instead open one or a few decent limit secured cards -  at least that way you'll eventually get your money back instead of essentially throwing it away. 

3 credit cards and an installment loan is all you need to begin (re)buiilding.   And credit limits mean nothing as far as FICO scoring; a $200 credit limit will have the same effect on your scores as a $20K limit provided utilization remains low and under control.   Creditors will issue higher limits if your income, debt-to-income ratio (DTI), and overall credit profile supports it -- in other words, just because you have a few random $15K limits on your reports doesn't mean a bankcard issuer will match or exceed that amount.  

And as stated by the previous poster,  you should get your FICO scores if you have not already done so.    Also - what negatives are currently on your reports?  You stated you were in the process of disputing several items -- and inquiries (?) - is there fraudulent info on your reports?  Why are you disputing inquiries? 

EDIT:  Just saw one of your replies.   So you only have one negative on your reports?  An unpaid charge-off?    If you can take care of that charge-off (either have it removed or pay / settle it), then you may be able to obtain an unsecured card without going the secured route at all.  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 40
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

There are several credit forums/groups I am apart of and this practice has worked well for others. Reading this confuses me as to what the correct answer is.

I understand your reasoning behind a bank not offering a specific limit of credit strictly based off the limit on my report. That makes sense. What I don't understand is, if these tools are available, why shouldn't I be using them?

I have seen multiple people use the tradelines I listed above as a way to increase their utilization, which in turn improved their scores, somewhat significantly, then receive better interest rates or higher limits of credit, from banks, not long after those tradelines posted.

All of my scores are in the 520-530 range. This is before my car loan will post, which is through Chase.

I am currently disputing the charge off and the collection now. Neither creditor has been able to provide evidence that the account is mine which deems it removable by law.

Message 7 of 40
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

There are all kinds a credit forums with all kinds of advice. These so called tradelines , you buy over priced junk and can only exclusively shop their products.

I suggest reading and more reading the rebuilding forum, start with secured and build from there. Your credit file is jot going to rapidly increase overnight,  it takes time and patience. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 40
thornback
Senior Contributor

@myfavoritehue wrote:

There are several credit forums/groups I am apart of and this practice has worked well for others. Reading this confuses me as to what the correct answer is.

I understand your reasoning behind a bank not offering a specific limit of credit strictly based off the limit on my report. That makes sense. What I don't understand is, if these tools are available, why shouldn't I be using them?

I have seen multiple people use the tradelines I listed above as a way to increase their utilization, which in turn improved their scores, somewhat significantly, then receive better interest rates or higher limits of credit, from banks, not long after those tradelines posted.

All of my scores are in the 520-530 range. This is before my car loan will post, which is through Chase.

I am currently disputing the charge off and the collection now. Neither creditor has been able to provide evidence that the account is mine which deems it removable by law.

Because quality over quantity.    Can these types of tradelines help you (scorewise) initially? Yes.    Do you need them to help you? No.    

A random $15K credit line can certainly help with utilization -- if you already have high revolving uiltlization.  But you don't have any utilization other than the outstanding balance on that charge-off (which you can eliminate by either paying it or having it removed if it's fraudulant).   So you do not need a useless $15K tradline to help with utilization.    A $200 secured card will have the same exact effect on your FICO scores as a $15K Jeweler's club card.   You just need to have a revolving account reporting. 

Put it like this --- if you were a lender manually reviewing an applicant's credit report would you be more comfortable extending credit to the person with a bunch of random online-store-only cards that LITERALLY ANYBODY CAN GET REGARDLESS OF CREDIT HISTORY with high, unearned credit limits, OR the person with a couple of reputable bank cards that are used for everyday expenses in the real world with lower limits that have the potential to grow over time with responsible use...?   (Hint: it should be the latter...).

You can, obviously, do whatever you want... I'm just giving you my opinion since you asked for advice.    Credit is long-term, not short-term, so you should be looking at long-term solutions as opposed to quick-trick fixes.    You don't need those tradelines.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 9 of 40
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

I'm aware of that. Even with the tradelines I mentioned, they take time too.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.