Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is AMEX Pre-Qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How accurate is AMEX Pre-Qualify?

I would like to get the AMEX Rose Gold Charge Card.

I checked on AMEX website of pre-qual, and I qualified for Gold Delta, AMEX Green and AMEX Gold.

However, my current credit file number as follows:

-FICO around 690

-credit utilization around 60%

-averaege years of credit cards is 4.4 years

-oldest account since 8/11/2012

-no missed payment

-4 inquires for the last 2 years

What is the percentage that I will be approved for AMEX Gold?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How accurate is AMEX Pre-Qualify?

It's very solid, provided you've never burned AmEx or IIB. As long as it displays that "you're pre-approved" for it, you can give it a whirl.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry...I don’t think we have anyone who here who can give you an accurate actual percentage. 

But I will say, Amex pre-quads are typically pretty solid, unless there is something in your profile that blacklists you etc. 

I say go for it....your chances are good. 

Edit: @FinStar beat me to it! 

Message 3 of 12
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked on AMEX website of pre-qual, and I qualified for Gold Delta, AMEX Green and AMEX Gold.

-FICO around 690

-no missed payment

Thanks in advance.

AmEx cares about a few things. They are generally that you do not pay late, that you have a decent credit score, and you did not burn them. You have already stated you have no missed payments and a 690 is neither bad nor awesome(I had that when I first got a CC). I am going to go out on a limb and say you never burned them so the prequal is a solid one. The AmEx prequal is actually a very solid one unless you have extenuating reported information.

The short version is go for it and be careful at which merchants you use it.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 12
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-FICO around 690

-no missed payment

Thanks in advance.

AmEx cares about a few things. They are generally that you do not pay late, that you have a decent credit score, and you did not burn them. You have already stated you have no missed payments and a 690 is neither bad nor awesome(I had that when I first got a CC). I am going to go out on a limb and say you never burned them so the prequal is a solid one. The AmEx prequal is actually a very solid one unless you have extenuating reported information.

The short version is go for it and be careful at which merchants you use it.

Why? I've never heard of that before... 

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Pikaboo-icu, I'm assuming the above poster meant something along the likes of bail bonds places or other "questionable" merchants.
Message 6 of 12
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
@Pikaboo-icu, I'm assuming the above poster meant something along the likes of bail bonds places or other "questionable" merchants.

Well I would think that would apply to any/every credit card then. LOL

Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

You'd be surprised. AmEx has some finicky algorithms when it comes to certain "questionable" merchants. Other lenders are a little less strict.

But, overall, the vast majority are going to flag things that are certain no-no's. Interpret that as you will 😁
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I guess its solid if it tells you that you are approved but not solid if it says that your aren't qualified at this time. Let me explain.. I would check monthly to see if I was prequalified and it always told me that I was not. However after reading lots of different posts here on this forum i decided to try my luck anyway. I now have 4 amex cards, 1 Platnium Business charge card and the Everyday Business card. I also have they Everyday Card for personal and Gold Charge for personal. I got the 2 personal cards first and 3-4 days later I got the ones for my Buisness. 

So I think that if your credit is over 670 and your utlilization is good on your reports and don't have bad things on report you should be ok to try. I have lots on inquires and 2 paid charge off and still got it. 

Best of Luck

Message 9 of 12
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

For the most part, its "Solid as a Rock"Smiley LOL

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.