Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I answer these CL questions?

tag
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

How do I answer these CL questions?

Hello,

I'm wanting to request a CL increase on my Capital One platinum card.  It's been a while since I've had an increase...however, when I go to request one, it asks me several questions. Here are the questions.

Question 1:  "How much do you plan on spending on this card each month?"  Are they looking for a large amount? Medium? Small?  I never carry a balance over by the way.  I can spend as much or as little on the card. 

Question 2:  "Why" I am requesting the CL. None of the options really fit, but there is an "other" option. 

Question 3:  It's asking for how much of a CL I'm wanting.  My credit line is currently $2,500.  I don't want to put something stupidly high, but I don't want to put something too low?  

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I answer these CL questions?

That form is why I haven't asked for a CLI since 2018. I would be lying if I said I was going to put more than a $1 a month on a card that doesn't have high rewards. 

My suggestion is to be honest on it. 

Message 2 of 6
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Thanks for your response.  That's the tricky thing tho.  I CAN be honest while giving a variety of answers to their questions lol.  

Capital One has been the only card that has given me regular CLIs and has been a gem to work with and honestly, I use their card (when I do use a card) more than any others I have.

So I could theoretically spend $2,000 a month on the card and pay it off.  Or I could say I would spend $50 a month on the card. Both can be true.  I'm just wondering what looks more favorable in Capital One's eye when making a decision?

And  of course I could also wait until they automatically increase my CL, so that's an option as well.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're willing to put the spend on there, Capital One is a huge fan of lots of spend. 

Message 4 of 6
CorySoccer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous That's what I looking to hear. And now that you mention it, my CLI have happened when I've spent more on their card.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was using my $500 Platinum so heavily that it grew to $8250 before they chopped me down to $2K last year for low use. It's extremely rare that a credit steps card goes that high but it was my primary card from 2014 until 2018 and both of my cards from 2014 to 2017 were Capital One (Platinum/QS and PlayStation) so they got a ton of spend from me and occasional interest like when I bought a new TV and took 3 months to pay it off. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.