Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait for Discover CLI's?

tag
KnowledgeSeekr
New Contributor

How long to wait for Discover CLI's?

They started off with low limit, good use and payment history on card. Reason for denial is not enough history with Discover (approx 80 days) Any ideas how long you need to typically wait until they start approving CLI's?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long to wait for Discover CLI's?

I waited two years for a $500 CLI on each Discover card. YMMV

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I waited two years for a $500 CLI on each Discover card. YMMV

Your SLs must've been enormous! Smiley LOL

Me, approved Feb, asked CLI and they gave me 1500 this month.

Message 3 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Rule of thumb is 61 and 91 days. But you must use it like a debit card. Disco loves to be your go to card. Times are a bit different now. But once CLI's start coming in with heavy use. Things get easier. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 12
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Those guys... @FireMedic1 is spot on. I imagine with the economic headwinds we're sailing into we're gonna see more weirdness from them moving forward... although that said they gave me a small bump last month 

Some people try every month but I would never recommend that.  Definitely stick with the 91 day interval.  

Message 5 of 12
madcap3693
Valued Member

I went from 500->3000->7500 with two cli in 6 months.  Card had been open for a long time but not used in a long time.

good luck!

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $188,710
AAoA: 8 Years 5 Months
AoOA: 19 Years 9 Months
AoYA: 6 Months

FICO SCORE 8

Happily Gardening Since 10.01.2023
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@madcap3693 wrote:

I went from 500->3000->7500 with two cli in 6 months.  Card had been open for a long time but not used in a long time.

good luck!

How lol, did u swipe the heck out of it to make this miracle happen Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 12
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@KnowledgeSeekr wrote:

They started off with low limit, good use and payment history on card. Reason for denial is not enough history with Discover (approx 80 days) Any ideas how long you need to typically wait until they start approving CLI's?

My first cli came at 14 months, spent a good pct of limit per month first year on catagories 10 pct cb plus a bt. carried a balance every month.

At 13th month they gave me 2nd disco IT 6k sl thru prequal and then at 14 months gave me a requested cli on card #1 of 1500, 3000 - 4500.

I tried for a cli on card # 1 at 9 months and was denied.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 12
madcap3693
Valued Member

I did put a grand on over the course of a few days while at the 3,000 credit limit.  

My credit utilization was at like 25% on the card when statement closed.  Guess they liked the more aggressive spending and bumped me up to 7,500 after I requested a cli again.

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $188,710
AAoA: 8 Years 5 Months
AoOA: 19 Years 9 Months
AoYA: 6 Months

FICO SCORE 8

Happily Gardening Since 10.01.2023
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@madcap3693 wrote:

I did put a grand on over the course of a few days while at the 3,000 credit limit.  

My credit utilization was at like 25% on the card when statement closed.  Guess they liked the more aggressive spending and bumped me up to 7,500 after I requested a cli again.

This is like the opposite of FNBO's recent AA/CLD lol. Thx!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.