cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will Discover hate me?

WarthogWrangler
Contributor

How long will Discover hate me?

I had a Discover IT card years ago that I let get charged off.  I paid it in full three years ago.  Since then my scores have gone way up and I don't have a problem getting approved for just about anything now... except Discover.  I keep tyring their prequal page and always get the same denial reason.  "Status of previous or existing account".  So how long can I expect to get this message?  Honestly I don't really need one of their cards, I just hate knowing I can't have one lol.   

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: How long will Discover hate me?

@WarthogWrangler wrote:

I had a Discover IT card years ago that I let get charged off.  I paid it in full three years ago.  Since then my scores have gone way up and I don't have a problem getting approved for just about anything now... except Discover.  I keep tyring their prequal page and always get the same denial reason.  "Status of previous or existing account".  So how long can I expect to get this message?  Honestly I don't really need one of their cards, I just hate knowing I can't have one lol.   

Are you getting that message when applying or filling out the pre-qualified form?

If you haven't tried the prequal, you should. 

I personally did not pay them back the amount I owed, after eight years from amount closure I checked prequal and they offered a secured card... I accepted an roughly 7 months later they graduated the card; one year after opening the secured I applied for the IT card and was approved. 

While I did get back in with them, they aren't bff's with me... they closed the first card for lack of use three months after I paid off my balance (the last card swipe was around six month's before closure). 

My IT card hasn't had a credit limit increase in the 3ish years I've had it now... everytime I try, the denial mentions the previous account that charged off.

Goodwill Saturation Technique

Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Score 10/2018: EQ:669, EX:686, TU:668
Score 11/17/2018: EQ:682, EX:681, TU:683
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
12/24/2018 -- EQ Beacon 5.0: 678, EX Fico II: 690, TU Fico Classic 04: 716

Goal Score: 740+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000

Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.

Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal:
August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.