Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Amex?

tag
MeN5
Regular Contributor

How many Amex?

How many Amex revolvers can someone have including both personal and business? I have 4 business and 1 personal. I want one more business but I keep getting denied.   

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: How many Amex?

@MeN5 wrote:

How many Amex revolvers can someone have including both personal and business? I have 4 business and 1 personal. I want one more business but I keep getting denied.   

typically 5, very rarely 4 or 6.

you're probably going to have to close one out to get the new one.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

1/6, 5/12, 12/24

Message 2 of 6
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Odds are you're going to have to close one, but you have room to add a couple of charge cards in there.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 3 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@GatoradeZeroGuy wrote:

@MeN5 wrote:

typically 5, very rarely 4 or 6.

you're probably going to have to close one out to get the new one.

Rarely even more than 6, but you're right that 5 is the current unofficial threshold. 

Occasionally if the applicant already has 5 revolvers the underwriter will call them directly and offer to approve the card if the applicant is willing to close one of the existing revolvers; if the applicant agrees the underwriter will immediately close out the current card and then approve the application while the applicant is on the phone.   Emperically it's much like a product change except that moving between product lines is possible and for reporting purposes the account associated with the old card does not carry over to the new one.

(2/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

MeN5,

I have 5 Amex credit cards under my social security number. I have a business card under my TIN.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 6
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

I can't recall what the numbers are now (I've seen them posted here before), but I've hit a wall on personal and business revolvers. You can see my sig for which cards I have. I think I have some shuffling to do.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.