cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon is too soon to apply again?

tag
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

Re: How soon is too soon to apply again?

Congratulations on your cards. Great SL. IMO, if you're not worried about 5/24. I would check Amex, discover, BB&T for preapprovals. Even if you don't accept the offers, at least you know where you stand. With NFCU giving you that first big SL, wait until you really need another big limit CC from them before applying for the 2nd or 3rd in your case; it more than likely will be a 25k card.
Ask Navy can you PC to the More Rewards, it has more use than the Go .4 to 6 months is about the time I went for other cards, and I always apply for 2 so they can grow together. Oh yeah, watch your Inquires.
Message 21 of 34
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

I have a slightly different take.  Go to prequal sites like Discover and see if you are preapproved.  One more card will help, just PIF and you will really be golden.

Chase, Citi and Amex too.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My gut reaction when reading your original post was, "There's no rush." 

Time does fantastic things to credit scores, as long as you pay on time and pay in full (or pay far above the minimum). Since you have two cards you could get another, but it wouldn't hurt to wait a while. As others have suggested, check all the different banks that offer prequalifications and see where you stand. 

Message 23 of 34
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Heatt99 wrote:
Congratulations on your cards. Great SL. IMO, if you're not worried about 5/24. I would check Amex, discover, BB&T for preapprovals. Even if you don't accept the offers, at least you know where you stand. With NFCU giving you that first big SL, wait until you really need another big limit CC from them before applying for the 2nd or 3rd in your case; it more than likely will be a 25k card.
Ask Navy can you PC to the More Rewards, it has more use than the Go .4 to 6 months is about the time I went for other cards, and I always apply for 2 so they can grow together. Oh yeah, watch your Inquires.

Thanks Heatt! Is it weird that I don't want a CC with an annual fee? It looks like the ones with the annuals offer more rewards, but I just don't think I would use them enough to at least cover the fee. I'm probably weird. lol.

download

Message 24 of 34
Hut1
Established Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

I have a slightly different take.  Go to prequal sites like Discover and see if you are preapproved.  One more card will help, just PIF and you will really be golden.

Chase, Citi and Amex too.

I have been leaning towards the next card being with Chase or Citi. I think I may wait it out and see what kind of prequal offers I get in the mail. I'm hoping the APR offers lower a bit. 

download

Message 25 of 34
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Chase wants at least a year of experience. and experience with higher lines.. they likely will not be your highest line out of the gate.. and you dont want to get stuck with a lemon... food for thought... 

Message 26 of 34
Hut1
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Chase wants at least a year of experience. and experience with higher lines.. they likely will not be your highest line out of the gate.. and you dont want to get stuck with a lemon... food for thought... 

That's extremely helpful. Thanks Jolt!

download

Message 27 of 34
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Also Chase does not usually entertain APR reductions, as well as CLIs are usually a hard pull.. theres a rare occurance of auto CLI without the HP but thats about it.. My cards from Chase are both the same limits they were issued at.. and havent moved at all.. 

Message 28 of 34
Hut1
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Also Chase does not usually entertain APR reductions, as well as CLIs are usually a hard pull.. theres a rare occurance of auto CLI without the HP but thats about it.. My cards from Chase are both the same limits they were issued at.. and havent moved at all.. 

Any providers you suggest?

download

Message 29 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hut1 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Any providers you suggest?

I think before you apply for any other cc, you need to decide what you will use it for. There are pros and cons with every lender, but you will need to see what your spend patterns are in order to see which card makes the most sense for you. For example, I have a card that earns 5% on gas purchases. When looking at other cards, there aren't any that beat this; so, it is not logical for me to search out a card that has this as their main reward category. 

Generally, the cards that you frequently see large CLIs and on SPs (soft pulls) on is from Amex and Discover. Both have their perks, both have their faults. As I said, you will want to see your spend patterns and see if your current cards miss a category that you have frequent/high spend levels in. The quicksilver is nice because it is a catch-all 1.5% cashback, whereas your NFCU card gets you 3x on restaurants, 2x on gas, and 1x on everything. In your case, if you are charging anything aside from gas or dining out, your QS will make more sense (1.5x vs 1x).

Hope this helps 

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.