Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get approved for Amex Platinum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get approved for Amex Platinum?

I'm just wondering how hard it is to get the Amex Platinum card.

My current scores are EQ 732, TU 735, EX 723. My total limit is $15,900. Oldest is 1 year. Inquiries: EQ 2, TU 3, EX 6.

Newest card is Amex SPG $6000 limit, I just got it last week.

I'm thinking I'd request for 3X CLI after 2 months and if that works out well, my total limit could reach above $25,000. 

My original plan was to upgrade my CSP to CSR when available, and after that apply for the Platinum. 

Today I talked to an Amex rep and he said I could receive an invitation to apply if my relationship with Amex is good in the future.

So now I'm thinking, can I apply for the Platinum after 6 months of having the SPG card? Of course, all payments in full and on time.

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get approved for Amex Platinum?

The Amex Platinum card is basically a charge card. With your scores, I think you should be fine with getting it. Give it the 6 months, build on the SPG card and then you can apply for it. The UW for charge cards are less stringent vs. credit cards.

Also - instead of upgrading the CSP to CSR, I would PC the CSP to another card (Freedom, Freedom U, etc.) and then apply for the CSR.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xaximus wrote:
The Amex Platinum card is basically a charge card. With your scores, I think you should be fine with getting it. Give it the 6 months, build on the SPG card and then you can apply for it. The UW for charge cards are less stringent vs. credit cards.

Also - instead of upgrading the CSP to CSR, I would PC the CSP to another card (Freedom, Freedom U, etc.) and then apply for the CSR.

Thank you. I just got the bonus for CSP, so I can't really get the bonus from CSR at this point. 

Message 3 of 22
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

I agree w/ xaximus, when I received my Platinum my score was 30-40 lower than yours, however I did have a couple year relationship with Amex at that point.  After 6 months or so I also feel you'd have no issue, unless you choose to jump earlier than that.  Great card!

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cred4All wrote:

I agree w/ xaximus, when I received my Platinum my score was 30-40 lower than yours, however I did have a couple year relationship with Amex at that point.  After 6 months or so I also feel you'd have no issue, unless you choose to jump earlier than that.  Great card!

Thanks! I see you have the PNC card, are you from PA too?

Message 5 of 22
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Enjoying the cold here today yes.  That PNC card is convenient to have in my app for the EQ score, however it has not/will not grow nor can get an increase without a HP.  It's a Sock Drawer Special Smiley Happy, but love the bank.

Message 6 of 22
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Fellow East Coasters - NY here, but constantly back and forth between NY and CT.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree that building your relationship with Amex is key. The Amex platinum card will come. It appears in my offers constantly when I am logged in to my Amex account. They make it very clear I am pre approved and encourage me to get it. So just log in and occasionally check under the "My Offers" tab on amex.com and when they want you to get it - it will definitely by there. 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! Thanks!
Message 9 of 22
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

Amex is all about relationships, it is why they put the member since on their cards. I got my Platinum card 1 year after I got my Blue Cash card. With your scores, I think it is fair that you can get approved for one of their credit cards. Once you have a relationship started with them, it is fairly easy to get the Platinum.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.