cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a delinquent chase bank account. Am I blacklisted for their credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a delinquent chase bank account. Am I blacklisted for their credit cards?

I have been immediately denied for all chase credit cards I've applied for. I figured it's because I have a 658 experian score with an old collection on it. Yet AMEX gave me the Blue Cash Everyday card with that same Experian score! (My TU/EQ are 720). 

Then I remembered that Years ago I had a Chase bank account, overdrew money on it, and deserted the account. For some reason this hasn't appeared on any of my credit reports, but I just confirmed that Chase has been trying to collect the debt from me directly. I will pay it off eventually, but is this why I've been getting denied? And even though this collection isn't on my CR will Chase see this everytime they pull up my application and blacklist me from all their financial products?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I had a delinquent chase bank account. Am I blacklisted for their credit cards?

Probably

If you pay it off the gates will open.

If you delay it long enough it will become a CO and collection placed on your CR and tank your scores.

Message 2 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: I had a delinquent chase bank account. Am I blacklisted for their credit cards?

You may be  likely blacklisted, especially in the light of them still trying to collect from you.  If that's the case, AA letter will cite previous unsatisfactory relationship or something like that. 

They may let you in eventually, but they do hold grudges so I would not hold my breath as far as when that will happen. 

As far as Amex approving you, it's a different lender. Different outcome is not surprising 

Message 3 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  Overdrawn checking would not be on your CR. It will be on Chexsystems and EWS reports. 

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex approving me while Chase declining me based on the same credit report IS a surprising outcome because they are equally tough lenders. Obviously if I get approved for a secured capital one card but denied for Chase preferred that makes more sense. 

Message 5 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex approving me while Chase declining me based on the same credit report IS a surprising outcome because they are equally tough lenders. Obviously if I get approved for a secured capital one card but denied for Chase preferred that makes more sense. 

Do you owe Amex money? 

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is a lot more stick-in-the-mud than Amex is. And Amex wouldn’t know you owe Chase money so it’s not even a factor. Trying to draw a parallel between them for theoretical approvals is pointless.

Your scores may be sufficient for either bank to give you a card. But you walked out on Chase with money owed so they’re understandably reluctant. You had no prior obligation to Amex so such a factor doesn’t apply.
Message 7 of 39
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

One person's opinion, based on his experience:

Chase is a more conservative lender than AMEX, and your premise above that it is not is flawed.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 8 of 39
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I'm quite sure you're blacklisted from Chase because of the money owed to them. However, you might very well get removed from the blacklist relatively quickly after you pay them. It only took 4 months after I paid off an old Chase credit card chargeoff before they un-blacklisted me and started sending me credit card pre-approvals. Your mileage may vary - I've also known other people who paid off their Chase debt a decade ago and are still blacklisted.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify for some of you guys making irrelevant points. I Understand that Chase and Amex are different. Yet Chase rejected me immediately for a basic card while Amex gave me a chance (so have Capital One and Barclays). I understand that going on my CR alone I might have just gotten lucky with Amex. Some of you have pointed out that Chase is actually more conservative than Amex, which I didn't know.

My question was whether it's possible that it's my past with Chase Bank that's dooming me with them and if I'm blacklisted from their products. This hadn't occured to me before because i had forgotten about it. Some of you have given insight into the matter and now I know that I am possibly blacklisted. I will pay of my old debt with Chase. Once I do i will follow up on here in case someone else with the same situation lurks about. Thanks.

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.