cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lending Tree claims to BOOST Approval at Citi??? By taking a test?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lending Tree claims to BOOST Approval at Citi??? By taking a test?

So I got this message from Lending Tree today...

*Note* I don't intend to apply because I don't want a hard inquiry and we are in the middle of buying/selling a home but has anyone received this type of email before? What were your results?
Thank you!

"At LendingTree, we want to give you the tools you need to make smart decisions. For a limited time, we are offering you a special opportunity to significantly boost your chances of getting approved for one of Citi’s BEST cash back cards, the Citi® Double Cash Card, by taking a quick online money management program.

Complete and pass any two courses before 11:59PM PDT on June 17, 2018 and you will get exclusive access to apply for the Citi® Double Cash Card, raising your chances of being approved for one of Citi’s best cash back credit cards. (Note: You can always apply for the Citi® Double Cash card on Citicards.com directly, this special offer is designed to significantly boost your chance of being approved for the card)."

12 REPLIES 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Re: Lending Tree claims to BOOST Approval at Citi??? By taking a test?

I view Lending Tree like CK - marketing with old score models that no one uses anymore.

I'm not applying for anything now, either.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same email and am scared to apply. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I honestly wouldn't. Sounds like they were given some funds from Citi to push credit card applications but if you aren't prequalified online on their site I wouldn't risk it.

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the same email and am scared to apply. 

Message 4 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've read about banks that offer courses for their customers to take to improve their standings with the bank. But, ive never heard of Citi doing that, and I've never heard of it being offered through a 3rd party.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did the course. Applied and denied!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang, but thanks for testing this out for the rest of us : (

I will not be waisting an inquiry on this

Message 7 of 13
egghead88
Regular Contributor

I took the test and was still on the fence about applying. Thank you for taking one for the myfico team LOL!! I hope you have better luck in the future!!
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch. That stinks. Thank you for letting everyone know.

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

That's the problem with things like this. People will believe it's a short cut to getting an approval. In my opinion, the best way to get your approval odds enhanced is to work on your profile and have your credit report at it's best . Marketing works for their bottom line not necessarily oursSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.