Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to apply with Discover or Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to apply with Discover or Amex

I'd like to get ya'lls opinion before I put in an application for a new card. Hopefully I can get an idea on the odds of a disapproval before I burn a HP. 

I'm looking to finally move into a good rewards card with a decent SL. I'm aiming for Amex or Discover. From what I've read here they tend to be are more lenient about your report, and can be generous with initial limits.

I've got a couple of marks on my report, all medical related. All amounted to less than $200. One should fall off in May. No lates on mortgage, student loans, auto loans, or current credit cards.  

Scores - All 3 pulled from Experian this morning
Experian - 700 (Used the Experian Boost to raise it from 681)
Transunion - 701
Equifax - 690
FICO BankCard Score 2 - 686
FICO BankCard Score 8 - 706

Current Cards:
Capital One Platnium: 2450
Synchrony Care Credit: 7000

Credit Utilization: 22%

Income: 102,000

Debt-to-income Ratio: 20%

Total Open Accounts - 10
Open Credit Cards - 1
Open Retail Cards - 1
Open Real Estate Loans - 1
Open Installment Loans - 6
Accounts Never Late - 7
Time Since Negative - 7 Months 
Average Age 7 yrs 5 mos
Oldest Account 14 yrs 1 mo

No inquiries in over a year.

Amex Pre-Approval for the Everyday Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles, and the Gold Card. Not interested in the Gold, and the other two list an APR range, 15.24% to 26.24%. Seems to be risky going for a card without a solid APR. No other good pre-approvals outside of Capital One. 

Prior to the EX Boost I was pre-approved via the Discover website for
Discover IT CashBack at 23.24% APR
Discover IT Chrome at 23.24% APR

Once I went through EX I checked Discover again,
Discover IT at 17.24% APR
Discover IT Chrome at 17.24% APR

Obviously pre-qual isn't a guarantee, but seeing the APRs drop 6 points does give me a bit more confidence. According to the fine details they add between 8.74% to 19.74% to the prime rate, 23.24% put me about a point away from their maximum APR.

Let me know what you think, and if I should look outside of Discover and American Express. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking to apply with Discover or Amex

Prequals from discover and amex are solid. The only issue would be if you're blacklisted by amex. You'll receive a prequal, but the application won't go through.

Message 2 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would try Discover if it were me.

I see a lot of $1k Amex CCs on here.

Plus the slashed CL, etc.

Discover has treated me very well.

I have received like 6 or 7 CLIs between 2 cards in less than 18 months.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the various sites I track my scores (Experian, CapitalOne-Creditwise, USAA, Discover) I should see an increase in my scores next month. Is there a noticeable difference between 700 & 710(ish)?  

Message 4 of 13
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Wink
@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to get ya'lls opinion before I put in an application for a new card. Hopefully I can get an idea on the odds of a disapproval before I burn a HP. 

I'm looking to finally move into a good rewards card with a decent SL. I'm aiming for Amex or Discover. From what I've read here they tend to be are more lenient about your report, and can be generous with initial limits.

I've got a couple of marks on my report, all medical related. All amounted to less than $200. One should fall off in May. No lates on mortgage, student loans, auto loans, or current credit cards.  

Scores - All 3 pulled from Experian this morning
Experian - 700 (Used the Experian Boost to raise it from 681)
Transunion - 701
Equifax - 690
FICO BankCard Score 2 - 686
FICO BankCard Score 8 - 706

Current Cards:
Capital One Platnium: 2450
Synchrony Care Credit: 7000

Credit Utilization: 22%

Income: 102,000

Debt-to-income Ratio: 20%

Total Open Accounts - 10
Open Credit Cards - 1
Open Retail Cards - 1
Open Real Estate Loans - 1
Open Installment Loans - 6
Accounts Never Late - 7
Time Since Negative - 7 Months 
Average Age 7 yrs 5 mos
Oldest Account 14 yrs 1 mo

No inquiries in over a year.

Amex Pre-Approval for the Everyday Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles, and the Gold Card. Not interested in the Gold, and the other two list an APR range, 15.24% to 26.24%. Seems to be risky going for a card without a solid APR. No other good pre-approvals outside of Capital One. 

Prior to the EX Boost I was pre-approved via the Discover website for
Discover IT CashBack at 23.24% APR
Discover IT Chrome at 23.24% APR

Once I went through EX I checked Discover again,
Discover IT at 17.24% APR
Discover IT Chrome at 17.24% APR

Obviously pre-qual isn't a guarantee, but seeing the APRs drop 6 points does give me a bit more confidence. According to the fine details they add between 8.74% to 19.74% to the prime rate, 23.24% put me about a point away from their maximum APR.

Let me know what you think, and if I should look outside of Discover and American Express. 

I agree with @

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 5 of 13
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on the various sites I track my scores (Experian, CapitalOne-Creditwise, USAA, Discover) I should see an increase in my scores next month. Is there a noticeable difference between 700 & 710(ish)?  

Not really besides each bureau has their way of factoring the score and what is on the report. But there can be a difference based on what score factor the lender does use.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 6 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Prequals for both are good. However I think Disco would give you a better SL. Just my two cents. Either one would be an awesome addition for you. Good luck!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco loves to give big limits to files like yours while Amex could easily toss you $1K. 

I am not saying Disco doesn’t toss small limits at times though but they’re not as common as Amex. 

If it were me I would get Disco first and if you get a small limit, just get the Amex too. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy Smokes, that's alot! If you dont mind me asking, did you have any marks on your record? 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only concerns I have are the lates in the past. Stupid mistakes, one was for 15 dollars. 

Otherwise I agree, it's not a bad record overall. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.