cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest Score Acceptable to get Approved for Chase Freedom Unlimited?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowest Score Acceptable to get Approved for Chase Freedom Unlimited?

80s Kid -

You need to get some income coming in then. Dining for me is very soothing.

A nice Prime Rib Dinner at Lawry's The Prime Rib in Beverly Hills, Chicago or Dallas (don't bother with their Las Vegas location it's not as good as the rest). For my family and I that's perfect.

BBS - Didn't you say you fly at least a couple times a year? Smiley Wink

Factor that in...all I'm saying is I fly literally 3 times a year which I wouldn't say is very much Travel at all, yet the CSR would work wonderfully for me as a non-traveler.

Also, it's not too hard to end up spending $600 a month dining out with 3 mouths to feed. We eat at Chick-Fil-A a couple times a week an average meal for us there conservatively is $15-$16, and that's not like eating at a nice steakhouse or even Outback or anything that's fast food. Smiley Happy so it's pretty easy to spend $600 on food in a month.

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well for the sake of science, I'll throw in some data.

Approved today with 648 EX and 645 tu. 2500 on FU. One card one year old three added since then. 2 7 yo student loans though. 55% overall utilization. 80% on one card .
Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice approval!
Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

BBS - Didn't you say you fly at least a couple times a year? Smiley Wink

No.  I said that I literally never travel back in post 20 and then I referenced it again in post 29.  At most I travel once per year for an annual business conference, but that's booked and paid through my employer and never involves my personal CC.

I'm not saying that it's difficult to spend $600+ a month dining out.  What I said was that I felt you were the exception, not the rule, as if you polled the majority of this forum a small percentage would be spending that in dining out that aren't travelers.  Naturally, if you're traveling a lot almost by definition you're going to be dining out.  If you aren't traveling, which is what we were talking about in having no use for a travel card, the amount of people that spend $600+/mo on eating out is significantly diminished.

Message 34 of 44
joltdude
Senior Contributor

By chase standards Freedom cards seem to be the easier cards to get... That said....

Chase likes 1 year of previous revolving credit experience.... yes folks have gotten cards with less but garbage in = garbage out

Chase does NOT like being your first card.... (which isnt an issue here)

The score still is 50/50 chances but not the credit experience...

Esp with the current util.... Pay down/off that Disco.... pronto!

In other words... the crystal ball.. says a big fat NOPE....

Try again later...

-J

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oldman - I never said Chase is for beginners. Discover is for Beginners (if they're students). They will open you a CC with 0 history.

Chase FU is IMO a low tier card. Low UW requirements, not great benefits, but still has a sign up bonus which is a draw in.

If it's your first CC and you have no history I would say stay away. But once you have a FICO score (which means you also have at least 6 months of history) and that score is 640+ You're in great shape for this card.

A starter card is your very first credit card, Chase I don't think is ever anyone's first credit card. I had a friend 3 years ago who was 18, a college student and had $50,000 in a Chase account. He applied with them for a credit card with 0 credit history, but $50k deposited with them and was flat out denied. Whereas he had about 10k deposited with WF at the time and was approved for a 1.5k SL.

I would think Chase would've given him at least a $500 card just to appease him and not want him to move his finances elsewhere...but they're an odd duck in that sense.
Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Matt, not sure if this helps at all but here is my 2 cents.  I'm 53 years old and have 4 credit cards.  AMEX blue cash preferred 20k, Quicksilver visa signature 15k, Chase FU 10k, and a Discover it 10k, utilization 99% of the time reports at 1%.  All 3 credit scores are 760 plus.  Point is this, I have the credit cards that I need/use/want.  Cap 1 for my monthly bills; Amex for groceries/gas, hotel room if I want to travel.  Chase for everything else, golf, dining out whatever.  Discover is the catch all for rotating categories or if I happen to want to carry a balance from time to time because the APR is 11% on that card.  High tier card, low tier whatever works for you is what's important.  I personally have all the cards I need/want.

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone has different profiles and yes some will have cards that they think are most beneficial for them.

But your response does not answer the tier question, is FU easier to get than Freedom or say Amex Blue Cash. I would say yes it is. If it is then that would be great for my friend!

Honestly I don't see why you have Freedom Unlimited in your profile at all, since you don't have any of their higher tiered cards to transfer it to there are plenty of other cards that would be more beneficial for random spend than FU. Get an all around 2% card, but that's just my two cents.

Now if you had say CSR and could transfer points that 1.5% turns into 2.25% or more by transferring to partners. Smiley Wink But otherwise it isn't the best you could have.
Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally see your point Matt.  I think the FU and the Freedom are both about the same as far as being approved for the card.  If your friens gets that utilization down and has a solid say 6 month payment history I think she'll be good to go for either.  For me, the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any other travel card wouln't really work for I don't travel that much anymore.   Spent 24 years in the Air Force and I must have been to Hawaii 20 times!! LOL Everywhere from New York to Cali.  Anyway, yeah a flat 2% card would be better for me, but I don't sweat a .5%.  Good luck to you and your friend!!

Message 39 of 44
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Did your friend ever got approved? I got my denial letter from the Amazon Chase Visa and although my Equifax FICO08 is 664 for Chase and their card acquisition score shows me at 627 which is very low and different, but I wanted to give you that data point just in case.

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.