Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple cards from same lender

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple cards from same lender

Hello, all. I see alot of sigs that show multiple cards from the same lender. I'm curious how one goes about building that. Let's take Cap One for example (just because I just got a starter Platinum card with them). If I also wanted a QS, is it best to build a relationship then app again in x number of months, or is it better to ask immediately with the same credit pulls? 

This is a bit rhetorical since Cap One gave me a credit steps card (still rebuilding), so I know not to ask for anything else from them right now. This is more for future knowledge than anything else. Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Multiple cards from same lender

Capital One will only issue one card per person in a six-month period. But within those confines, they do place a lot of weight on how you've done with their previous products. If you happen to apply too soon, they'll simply tell you that you're "not eligible" rather than pulling your credit. Be aware that the one thing they're sensitive to is too many recently opened accounts.

With Chase, you absolutely don't want to apply for two cards at once. What happens is that they'll happily approve both applications, then they'll figure out what they did and shut one of the cards down a few days later. Yuck. Some say that 30 days between applications is OK, but three months would be a whole lot safer. Keep in mind that Chase is also sensitive to recently opened accounts. If you plan to apply for a second Chase card in three months, don't open accounts with any other bank during that timeframe.

With some banks, you can definitely open two cards on the same day. I'm not confident listing any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in with that information. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

With some banks, you can definitely open two cards on the same day. I'm not confident listing any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in with that information. Smiley Happy

AMEX.  Its not rare to have someone open up a revolver and a charge card the same day.  Occasionally someone manages to get 2 revolvers the same day but that's atypical.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 7
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, all. I see alot of sigs that show multiple cards from the same lender. I'm curious how one goes about building that. Let's take Cap One for example (just because I just got a starter Platinum card with them). If I also wanted a QS, is it best to build a relationship then app again in x number of months, or is it better to ask immediately with the same credit pulls? 

This is a bit rhetorical since Cap One gave me a credit steps card (still rebuilding), so I know not to ask for anything else from them right now. This is more for future knowledge than anything else. Thank you so much!

You might try to get your foot in the door with other lenders.  i was able to get multiple cards from USB, BOA, Am Ex and Citi by: a) getting one card, spend on it and keep utilization under 10%, b) after 6 to 8 months, app for another (repeat step a).  Build up some history with the lender and they will increase potential exposure to a point..  This took me 2 to 4 years of diligent payments and usage of cli opportunities.  BOA and Am Ex (for me) have been the easiest to shift limits to and from cards.  I never had any success with Cap One, so I canned their cards (3 at the time).  I have multiple cards with Chase, Disco and Synch: lots of fish in the sea.  Patience and diligence will get results.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 4 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Prequals are your best bet.

Check Cap One, Discover, BT&T every month.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 7
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:  I see alot of sigs that show multiple cards from the same lender. I'm curious how one goes about building that ...This is more for future knowledge than anything else. 

As one member with multiple cards from the same lender, the basic answer is (1) Time (and lots of it) and (2) Patience.  Treat any lender you want more cards from as a relationship and groom it. Use the first card you have regularly and responsibly. With some lenders, having banking accounts, investments, or loans that you manage responsibly will also help. They may even send you preapproved offers for more cards!  Don't rush the process or seem desperate. Allow each to grow and blossom as it will. Remember that building credit is a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy the journey! Smiley Happy   

Multiple cards with one lender is fine, but remember to build diversity in your lineup. I target a variety of big national banks as well as great credit unions to spread my exposure. If one lender were to take adverse action, they can only have a limited impact on your total credit limits, utilization, and scores.  Plus many lenders are much more comfortable with seeing your credit risk is diversified.  

*I currently have multiple cards with Chase and Bank of America, the two largest banks in the US.  Larger lenders seem more in favor of issuing multiple cards. (My longer term plan is to consolidate some of those Chase credit lines.)  Previously I've had multiple cards from other lenders also.  Some smaller financial institutions may limit you to only one, two or three cards, or they may only have that many total brands of cards! Smiley Tongue

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:  I see alot of sigs that show multiple cards from the same lender. I'm curious how one goes about building that ...This is more for future knowledge than anything else. 

Multiple cards with one lender is fine, but remember to build diversity in your lineup. I target a variety of big national banks as well as great credit unions to spread my exposure. If one lender were to take adverse action, they can only have a limited impact on your total credit limits, utilization, and scores.  Plus many lenders are much more comfortable with seeing your credit risk is diversified.  

This, I don't hink it's a good idea to go all in with only one Lender for various reasons. And it is going to take time to build a profile to support such a goal. Most people have several cards from one Lender because of the structure of said cards, as in the rewards are useful to them not just because their favorite Lender issues them. 

I was actually pretty surprised at how quickly I acquired Amex cards and hit their 5 revolver limit. Otherwise the max amount of cards I have with an individual Bank is only two. So I don't think it really should a be a goal unless it benefits you, the more cards you have the more work it is keeping track of them. lol.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.