Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My file is so thin :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My file is so thin :(

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have rebuilding and am need of direction. My dream cards are Hilton Ascend and a Target card. I was recently prequalified for a BCE AMEX, so I app'd and was denied for a low FICO. I was hoping that this would get my foot in the door, for the Ascend. I called and they suggested to apply again in 30 days. The customer service rep said that my profile was young, which I get. My sixth QS1 statement hadn't even posted yet. Target denied me three months ago. My scores were a bit lower, so I get that too. I am just getting app shy. I would like another card or two and then head into the garden for a year. Discover has only prequal'd me for IT secured. Does anyone have any suggestions on the next card? PS. My stats: My FICO 8 scores are okay-ish: 663EQ, 671TU and 674EX. My only open accounts are a QS1 that is 7 months old, a Cap1 Plat that is three months old. I have no late payment history and my uti is always 6-7%. Each credit report has four hard pulls in the last 12 months. I do have two collections: PRA $725 (three more years) and LVNV $545 (21 more months).

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My file is so thin :(

7 months old on QS1 and you shouldn't have applied for Plat1.  I wouldn't apply for any cards for a while if I were you..... not until you get 710-ish on 3 bureaus.  Your collections are holding you down.  Don't apply for cards just for the CL, especially subprime ones.  I'd say try applying again for another year but don't take my word.  What do you spend most on?

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have rebuilding and am need of direction. My dream cards are Hilton Ascend and a Target card. I was recently prequalified for a BCE AMEX, so I app'd and was denied for a low FICO. I was hoping that this would get my foot in the door, for the Ascend. I called and they suggested to apply again in 30 days. The customer service rep said that my profile was young, which I get. My sixth QS1 statement hadn't even posted yet. Target denied me three months ago. My scores were a bit lower, so I get that too. I am just getting app shy. I would like another card or two and then head into the garden for a year. Discover has only prequal'd me for IT secured. Does anyone have any suggestions on the next card? PS. My stats: My FICO 8 scores are okay-ish: 663EQ, 671TU and 674EX. My only open accounts are a QS1 that is 7 months old, a Cap1 Plat that is three months old. I have no late payment history and my uti is always 6-7%. Each credit report has four hard pulls in the last 12 months. I do have two collections: PRA $725 (three more years) and LVNV $545 (21 more months).

I think you should wait a while, and you should work on getting rid of the negatives. E.g., send the bureaus 'verification' letters, which sometimes cause them to drop off.

The passage of time, without new applications, will in and of itself increase your scores.

Your dream cards are not out of reach, so you might as well apply for them when you do apply, rather than load yourself up with cards you don't really want.  Every inquiry, and every new account, brings your scores down further.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the others 100%. Garden until you can qualify for your dream cards. Let those HPs and collections fall off, get your scores into the 700s, and you’ll be much more satisfied with the CLs and cards you will qualify for at that point. Good luck!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been looking at the reasons myFico gives me for my credit score and then doing what is achievable to fix it. When I app’d for the Plat, I had too few accounts. It gave a 20 point boost. Looking at our whole budget for the year, I would say groceries and tuition are about equal in spending and a close third is hotels and kids (clothes and gifts). We would like to buy a house in a year and a half, so my goal was to work toward cards I would benefit from and then I would live in the garden. Every month I pay for internet, groceries, and tuition I just think about all the reward points that I could be earning.
Message 5 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Ok my .02cents.
1. Pretty sure Amex is eluded to/looking for 6+ months of history on the Cap One card
2. Working on those baddies and PIF preferably PFD would help your score and have better outcomes for CLs and opening new cards. Even if they are just paid off esp with Newer Fico scoring

3. The other thing you need is time. Pretty sure you can get the Amex you want in 30 days but your better off waiting perhaps for the baddies and at least 90 more days. Your other cards are not out of reach but I’d wait until next year and some of your repair to app further

-j
Message 6 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

It looks like your first two cards got you immediate score improvements. That isn't going to last forever. If card #3 doesn't cause a short-term ding to your score, card #4 definitely will.

New accounts add an inquiry, lower your AoYA (age of youngest account), and lower your AAoA (average age of accounts). Your first two cards added to your "credit mix" and offset the dings. That isn't going to last forever.

I'd try again in three to six months, depending on your scores at that time. In three months, your youngest card will be six months old; in six months, your oldest card will be a year old. An Experian score of 680 is a nice spot to apply.

Gardening for a year before a mortgage application is a good idea. There's a nice score bump when your AoYA becomes a year old. And all of your inquiries will have become unscorable.

Message 7 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Read up on this for a method to attempt to get rid of your baddies:

The Saturation Technique: Best GW adjustment odds

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank y'all for all the advice. I definately have a game plan for LVNV. PRA is not a bear that I want to poke. When I had my first child, the VA refered me out for care and the hospital charged me, instead of the VA. I had something like 15 collections. I have been able to clear them all off. These two are personal debt, and the collections agencies are proving to be extremely difficult. If any of the goals that I have would use the FICO 9, I would just pay them. But from what I can see, I need to do what supports: 5, 4, 2 and 8. It sounds like the best coarse of action is no action for now. Thank y'all so much <3

Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank y'all for all the advice. I definately have a game plan for LVNV. PRA is not a bear that I want to poke. When I had my first child, the VA refered me out for care and the hospital charged me, instead of the VA. I had something like 15 collections. I have been able to clear them all off. These two are personal debt, and the collections agencies are proving to be extremely difficult. If any of the goals that I have would use the FICO 9, I would just pay them. But from what I can see, I need to do what supports: 5, 4, 2 and 8. It sounds like the best coarse of action is no action for now. Thank y'all so much <3

If you have the ability to pay them off, that's what you should be doing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.