Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery of Application Spree

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mystery of Application Spree

@Gmood1 wrote:
US bank also pulls TU. They may pull some of those lesser known CRs as well.

They normally report at the beginning of the month. Yes you have to join. It's a HP to join. You can use that same pull across any products you want. You can refinance an auto and get a CC the same day as well as a line of credit. There's no limit to the products you can get off that one HP.

Glad I asked.  I would have been surprised with an HP to join.  But if I can convert that over to a CC without another HP, it would be worth it.  I appreciate all the info!  :-)

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 21 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gmood1 wrote:
A single EQ puller that's a winner is Pentagon Federal. PenFed has also accessed TU IME.  That pull should be good for at least 30 days. A major TU puller is Synchrony. If you have use for the card. Then get what YOU want.
There are a bunch that pull EX. lol
FNBO pulls EX on the Amex and EQ on one of their 2% CB cards.  No EQ pull on either - all EX
BofA is a major puller of TU on CLI and a EX puller on the SL.
John Deere pulls TU exclusively. It's a hidden tradeline. Commerce bank pulls TU as well.  Commerce also pulls EX or EQ as well

Although results can vary, I've listed my experience on some lenders - none of my CRs are frozen btw.

Message 22 of 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Nice to know Finstar!
I believe RBFCU pulls TU as well. You have to live in Texas or find another loop hole in.
Andrews FCU is a SP to join. They have some nice products  you get to request your CL with them. From research they pull EX or TU on apps. https://www.andrewsfcu.org/personal/loans-and-credit/credit-cards.html
You can join ACC for free https://www.americanconsumercouncil.org/membership.asp?dname=Americanconsumercouncil.org . Use the code "consumer" to join for free. Andrews will pay your life time membership. That membership opens doors to a crap load of other CUs.

Message 23 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gmood1 wrote:

Nice to know Finstar!
I believe RBFCU pulls TU as well. You have to live in Texas or find another loop hole in.
Andrews FCU is a SP to join. They have some nice products  you get to request your CL with them. From research they pull EX or TU on apps. https://www.andrewsfcu.org/personal/loans-and-credit/credit-cards.html
You can join ACC for free https://www.americanconsumercouncil.org/membership.asp?dname=Americanconsumercouncil.org . Use the code "consumer" to join for free. Andrews will pay your life time membership. That membership opens doors to a crap load of other CUs.

Great data points Gmood.  I wonder how difficult is to join Andrews FCU and whether they are somewhat conservative?  I had contemplated doing so a couple years ago as I was pondering on the Titanium Visa CC but didn't bite the bullet.  I've read some great reviews about them though.

Message 24 of 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Joining Andrews was very easy with no hoops to jump through, besides becoming an ACC member. My membership had previously expired. It took less than 5 mins to re-up the ACC.
I've seen mixed results from others. I would like to app for one of those chip and pin CCs as well. I need to cool my reports for at least 6 months before I try.
Hopefully they're not as conservative as SDFCU. lol

I figured you would get a solid approval with them.😄

Message 25 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gmood1 wrote:
Joining Andrews was very easy with no hoops to jump through, besides becoming an ACC member. My membership had previously expired. It took less than 5 mins to re-up the ACC.
I've seen mixed results from others. I would like to app for one of those chip and pin CCs as well. I need to cool my reports for at least 6 months before I try.
Hopefully they're not as conservative as SDFCU. lol

I figured you would get a solid approval with them.😄

Thanks Gmood (sorry OP for hijacking the thread).  I'm definitely going to let things simmer for about 6 months as well and give it a whirl with their Titanium CC, but definitely do the membership soon.  I tried SDFCU but lots of hoops to jump through (at least in my case 2 years ago).  So far NASA, Alliant, PenFed, CME, KEMBA, Wright-Patt, UNFCU and Navy (my most recent one) have been great (closed DCU).  No First Tech for me, though :-D

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please let me know what 5/24 and IMO mean? Thanks ahead of the answer.

Message 27 of 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

5/24 refers to Chase's rule of having less than 5 new CC accounts in a 24 months period in order for them to approve you one of their CCs. Some of their cards don't fall under that policy.
IMO = In my opinion
Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this thread stayed far more civil than I anticipated. I'm a "to each their own" type (though reserve the right to privately judge or mock) but as far as app sprees & most people I think they're a bad idea - and I say that as a person who did a 4 card spree in Aug plus 1 more in Sept.

In my case each card served a specific purpose & area of heavy regular spend I had spent months planning on advance of the spree. I was finishing my rebuild, had all existing credit lines paid to $0 & did a complete wallet rebuild to suit our new PIF life. My AAOA could take the hit (currently 3yr, +5 accounts <2mo) and I had zero inq. None are store cards. My spree was more meticulously planned & purposed than many I've seen shared here.

Many spree posts end with denials for too many new accounts or inq & admissions that they got cards they didn't need or really want. I think for most people and situations a spree isn't the best idea, especially when you can run the risk of triggering AA. If it's well planned and most importantly fills real needs a spree can work but it's not ideal for most situations.
Message 29 of 36
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I think spree can still be useful for some folks with some credit background want to grow the credit quickly.  It is just not suitable for folks with very weak credit or people who do not even need any credit but focus more on optimizing the rewards.

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.