Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU Credit Card app DENIED.

tag
buttercup415
Established Member

NASA FCU Credit Card app DENIED.

I'm so confused. I've read nothing but happy, joyous Approval Success stories about NASA.  

I applied for their account, they needed documentation, sent it in everytime they needed something.

After I was approved for the bank account, I applied for their Credit Card and after a few days of waiting it was DENIED.

My credit isn't perfect, I do have a cluster of recent inquiries from (mostly) successful CC apps (Kohls, Walmart, Vic Secret, Capital One etc). Those CC's have actually improved my score by 50 points at least since joining this forum!

I do have some student loans that had missed payments, I am in the middle of consolidating them.

It seems like other applicants on this board had their own credit issues were approved anyways, I'm just stumped why I was declined.

I haven't heard of any other declined NASA stories on here.  Maybe one reason is the auto correct when doing a search in the forum, it kept turning "NASA" into "Name". Sigh.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: NASA FCU Credit Card app DENIED.

what was your score when they pulled it?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Perhaps NASA FCU has tightened up their lending and UW standards after they got swamped with applications not too long ago. Sorry to hear that.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 19
buttercup415
Established Member

My score was 637

Message 4 of 19
buttercup415
Established Member

Thanks Popamode, I was wondering the same thing.

@chalupaman wrote:

Perhaps NASA FCU has tightened up their lending and UW standards after they got swamped with applications not too long ago. Sorry to hear that.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@buttercup415 wrote:

Thanks Popamode, I was wondering the same thing.

@chalupaman wrote:

well.. 637 mixed with a lot of new inqs and some lates honestly doesnt sound like an approval to me either.. as with most situations.. YMMV.. in this case, it did.. Garden.. let the inqs age.. maybe try and GW some of the lates? And reappy again when your overall report and scores are better!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied as well.  Oh well

Message 7 of 19
buttercup415
Established Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@buttercup415 wrote:

I'm so confused. I've read nothing but happy, joyous Approval Success stories about NASA.  

I applied for their account, they needed documentation, sent it in everytime they needed something.

After I was approved for the bank account, I applied for their Credit Card and after a few days of waiting it was DENIED.

My credit isn't perfect, I do have a cluster of recent inquiries from (mostly) successful CC apps (Kohls, Walmart, Vic Secret, Capital One etc). Those CC's have actually improved my score by 50 points at least since joining this forum!

I do have some student loans that had missed payments, I am in the middle of consolidating them.

It seems like other applicants on this board had their own credit issues were approved anyways, I'm just stumped why I was declined.

I haven't heard of any other declined NASA stories on here.  Maybe one reason is the auto correct when doing a search in the forum, it kept turning "NASA" into "Name". Sigh.

My daughter was denied as well.  I was told on another board that they believe the NASA ship has sailed!  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 19
polecat87
New Contributor

@buttercup415 wrote:

I don't know why OP is complaining.I had a 750 FICO when I applied with NASA FCU with less than 10% utilization and absolutely no baddies at all. My inquries were a bit high (maybe 10  on each CR), but they weren't clustered, but spread out with a third of them in the past 6 months. DENIED! Reason given? Lack of satisfactory accounts/age of accounts. I guess my 2 23+ yr old AMEX's, 10 other accounts greater than 1 year, and 25 accounts all paid as agreed isn't enough experience. I did apply at the same time as someone on here with a 2 yr old bankruptcy who got 30k from them. Perhaps a bankruptcy would have given me the right kind of experience NASA was looking for.  Smiley IndifferentWhatever NASA...

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.